Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was posting a few items for sale on here and wound up not doing it...lets hear my sit-u-a-tion...i was selling my car and the guy went to test drive it and somehow it blew on him..hmmm...tore into it and found a sheared rod...someone mustve been revving the @@#% out if it cause it has never served me wrong...so now all the parts i was selling are going into buildin the motor...now on to the situation

-->I have a sohc zc block mated to a y8(or at least i believe to be y8) head. Wont go into the specs but when i got to installing the arp headstud kit(it was a d16y kit according to the box) and tightened them down then put the head on guess what..only 1 stud stuck out..all the others were probably an 1/8th of an inch down in the head...so something is wrong...any ideas what this could be due to? labled part wrong? incorrect kit? Anyone had this similar problem?:shoot:

·
Registered
1993 Cobra
4,036 Posts
just incorrect kit, i think on the z6 head all but one bolt/stud is longer than the others. Try a kit for a y7/y8 head, should do the trick. And i'd tell the dick that blew up your car that he has to pay for everything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's the dilly y0, D16y blocks have shallower holes for the head studs. The threads for them start closer to the deck. D15/16b/z blocks have deeper holes in the block and the threads start lower.

NOW, the y8 head is pretty much all flat across the top (from what i remember) where as the z6 head has one or two bolts raised in the head on the intake side (the 2 on the back corners) The d16z block itself has the holes tapped and drilled differently on the corners to compensate (it might only be one now im thinking of it)

Putting that all togather yields.... A z6 head stud kit will not be what you need for a y8 head on a z6 block. A y8 head stud kit will also not be what you need for a y8 head on a z6 block. Same goes if you have a y8 block and z6 head.

You will need both sets of head studs... A set for the head and a set for the block your using. You will need 8 studs from the block set, and 2 from the head set.

Good luck with the build. Maybe you could contact ARP and just get the 2 bolts you need from them at a reduced price. Or buy both sets and sell off the rest for people with similar problems... Maybe someone is out there trying to put a z6 head on a y8 block...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you let someone test drive your car without you in it??? thats all on you

1 of 2 things is happening.. you dont have the head you think you do or the arp kit got mislabeled...
na i was selling it under my dads dealership..kid wasnt 18 and he was on his way to get the paperwork signed by his dad, hed actually signed the title in his name but if i didnt take it back i was goin to get into legal issues...somewhere between 20 miles he managed to shear a rod in half....i never once had a problem with the car for over 10000 miles and he blamed it all on me..and of course he didnt confess to anything and just said he was cruising down the highway..:bsflag: i wanted to sock the kid

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
now would this be the kit need to put a Y7 head on a A6. all im seein is Y8 info cause of the vtec solenoid. the sooner this could be awnsered the better cause i need my motor together lol. thanx guys
still wanting an awnser help me out guys

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep, use the same kit as you would for using a y8 head on any 88-95 block.

And now I see your other thread where this was already answered...........................................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts