1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 crx si
d16a6
250K on the clock

hey everyone today I started to change my headgasket, the head is free of the intake and exhaust manifolds and the 10head bolts. I CAN NOT get this head off, ive been pryin and tryin for a good hour and it is NOT moving at all. its been leaking oil and i figured 250K should get a new head gasket among other things. no idea when the last head gasket was replaced cause i bought it with 190k on it. ive tried prying at the corners and every which way but its a no go. anything im missing? do i just hafta keep at it? suns goin down so its gonna be a 2day job:hammer:

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
try prying gently between the head underneath the water neck and the block, thats how i got mine off.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try prying gently between the head underneath the water neck and the block, thats how i got mine off.

man u guys are quick!

i've tried it, i first was prying with a block of wood against the bottom of the head and using a bar, i ending up bending my radiator a bit:(

no matter what i end up moving the whole block and motor mounts

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
When all else fails, block o wood and rubber ,mallet tap tap tap.

·
Registered
721 Posts
so pretty much you need to talk the bolts off the bottom of the intake, from underneath the car...it doesn't matter if you have the intake nuts off, cause the studs will hang you up, you won't be able to get clear, from underneath you will see that there is a bracket that is attached to the block, and the intake, you need to take the intake part off, and then you head assembly should come off if oyou are sure you have eveything else detached!

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
u get the intake manifold bracket on the back of the motor
so pretty much you need to talk the bolts off the bottom of the intake, from underneath the car...it doesn't matter if you have the intake nuts off, cause the studs will hang you up, you won't be able to get clear, from underneath you will see that there is a bracket that is attached to the block, and the intake, you need to take the intake part off, and then you head assembly should come off if oyou are sure you have eveything else detached!
i think they covered that already.....:haha:

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did it, no luck.

i have the intake and exhause mainfold off, intake brace is off, timing belt is off the 10headbolts are off all plugs are off ITS JUST SITTING THERE!!

ive got ontop of the car and pulled forward, back, sides, corners, took a breaker bar and pryed from the bottom up, tapped everyside with a block of wood and mallet, sprayed catalist all over...not one budge

·
Registered
2018 TuRD
3,609 Posts

Yup. Less prying and more tapping. That way you don't gouge the surface and end up having your newly installed gasket not seal. When I changed out the gasket on my old 87 CRX, there was no tap, tap. I tried being gentle, and tried the leverage thing. In the end it was brute force and ignorance which did the trick. I put a block of wood up against the head and hammered the shit out of it with a regular hammer. Took a bit, but she came loose. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill see if i can get a torch tomarrow, hopefully some magic will happen over night and itll just pull of in the mornnin. thanks for all the replys!

·
Registered
2018 TuRD
3,609 Posts
Are you serious? May be I'm misunderstanding your post, but wedge a screwdriver between the head and the block? We're talking aluminum here. In otherwords, metal butter. I'm all about leverage and the proper application of force, but that would surely F-up the mating surfaces of the head and the block, no?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Are you serious? May be I'm misunderstanding your post, but wedge a screwdriver between the head and the block? We're talking aluminum here. In otherwords, metal butter. I'm all about leverage and the proper application of force, but that would surely F-up the mating surfaces of the head and the block, no?
You dont pry on the mating surfaces!!! never ever!!! And I didnt say anyting about wedging. I said pry, as in stick the screwdriver in a gap and pry.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
1:30 am, freezing outside, I'm wearing short and barefoot.....went to the garage to get these pics.........

·
Registered
1991 crx dx
221 Posts
i just used a small pry bar and didnt touch any of the matin surface at all. All you have to do is stick it under the water inlet on the head that goes to the heatercore, just pry between it and the block and it will pull right up. u never touch the mating surfaces or the radiator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts