Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I FINALLY got around to taking off the head on my si.
D16a vtec (d16z6)
I removed it with dizzy and IM still attached.

Ok so a little about the motor..

Reason for doing the gasket is:
The motor would over heat ONLY after 20 mins of hard driving..
Also sometimes (randomly) it would have trouble starting.
Hesitate until it was warm.
Reason why is the cylinder would get water in it from the TINY leak.
Once the car ran for a few minutes it would run fine.
(All the water escaped from the cylinder)

If I babied the car it would not overheat ever.. Not in traffic and not on a 100 degree day.

There was no huge home in the head gasket
There was a tiny bit of "corrosion" or water build up on the outside of the sleeve
It was just little whitish green balls of coolant I assume.
It pretty much wiped off

So with all this said...
Should I re surface the head?
And also..
The machine shop said I have to remove the rocker assembly and intake manifold and everything to have it surfaced for 50$
I didn't anticipate having to remove all this crap.

Is it necessary?
I suppose I'll check the head for warpage now. Either way it will have to happen tomorrow

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not pulling the motor to do the deck..
This motor sees 187hp boosted
I have almost all the parts to a vitara build. If this gasket blows again then ill finish the motor sooner then I wanted..
I'm sorry to waste any bandwidth or time
But I checked the head with feeler Gauges and I'm just going to install the gasket Friday.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know where I can get the green non abrasive attachment for the die grinder tool to make life easier, with getting the gasket material off?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm curious how hard it is to remove the rocker assembly and cam and still keep timing?
What's the point of putting everything at TDC if now everything isn't timed?
In order to surface the head they want rocker assembly and cam removed..
This is my first head gasket.. And I had no plans of removing the cam and rocker assembly..
How do I degree the cam..
Ugh I think if I have it resurfaced it might be biting off more then I can chew

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do you have the factory service manual? It lays out everything to disassemble and reassemble the whole thing in easy to follow steps.

You don't have to worry about keeping everything in exactly the same place you just put it in time when everything is together.

The amount they take off just to do a resurface wwon't be enough to change your timing enough to notice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah I have a Haynes. Why am I so intimidated by the internals lol?
I've done all work to all my cars but just never opened them up.
And I don't have many special tools if they are needed.
And I was more worried about the cam not being in the same position messing up my timing..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rocker arms come off real easy. I think it's like 16 bolts or something, you'll see with the valve cover off. Start at the outsides and work the way in as you loose the bolts. Just loosen the bolts all the way and leave them in their holes. Then it takes a few very small taps of a rubber hammer and some light prying and the rocker arm assembly comes off. Then pull the cam out. Cam gear has the "up" sign on it and the two timing marks when it's flush with the head so it only goes back one way. Lube all the cam lobes with assembly lube, drop the cam in. Then follow the torque sequence putting it back together. Good to go!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If only it were that easy to finish my built head.
Bisi cam springs, gear,
Supertech valves..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You have to set the cam timing when you remove the head.

Disassembling the head doesnt add any additional timing that is needed to be done.
Ok, I set the motor at TDC when I pulled the head.
The timing marks are basically parallel and the "Up" is up.
I was thinking.. well now I'm not sure what I was thinking.
I just have to put it back together with the cam in the same position it was in.
And torque everything to spec.
And go by the book

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get the green non abrasive attachment for the die grinder tool to make life easier, with getting the gasket material off?

Best thing to remove old gasket material for die grinders is the 3m Roloc bristle pads.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AJAY those are exactly what I was looking for but didn't have a clue what they were called..
Is the green one specific to aluminum? Or a specific "grit" I know it's not "grit" since it's non abrasive just wondering how their scale works..
And where can you find them?
Edit: I seen them on a YouTube video and I have to have them!!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,942 Posts
dude youre d16z6 has a steel gasket there is no material left on the head
I think that you're thinking of a d16y8 motor. I used a y8 gasket on my d15b7 motor. It was a 3 layer metal gasket. Ask the others that I've used are the soft gaskets.

Oh yeah. When removing the rocker assembly, leave the outside 4 bolts just barely in the threads so the assembly doesn't go flying all over the place.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dude youre d16z6 has a steel gasket there is no material left on the head
Hey man I know it's mls I was referring to the intake manifold gasket that will have to come off to get the head surfaced.
@bigj
Thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind..

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
I'm not positive you will have to remove the gasket so thoroughly. I've always dropped them off at the machine shop nasty with metal shavings from porting all in them and get them back looking new. After you get done you will be surprised at how simple they are to put back together.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not positive you will have to remove the gasket so thoroughly. I've always dropped them off at the machine shop nasty with metal shavings from porting all in them and get them back looking new. After you get done you will be surprised at how simple they are to put back together.
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to be prepared.
I supposed I will leave the gasket material on there for when I pick up the head. And on my way home I'll pick up the pad if I need it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts