Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since i'm rebuilding my head(2 heads to be correct, port and polishing them, too.) here's some of my tools i've bought to make my life very easy. the first tool is the one that made my life so very simple. (i took my head down to bare head in 15mins)

Valve Keeper Remover & Installer
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=550

Small Valve Lapper
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=215

i'm looking for/buying a:
K-D TOOL 3350 POSITIVE VALVE SPRING STEM SEAL PULLER to help remove seals

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
i use the Harbor Freight valve spring remover with no issues, it actually works pretty smooth.

as for valve stem seal remover, a needle nose works just fine for removal, and a 10mm deepwall socket and a hammer works great for re-installation :TU:

·
Registered
CRX, Wrangler
397 Posts

Holy crap, if I had that tool last weekend I would be much happier today.

I literally muscled the valve retainers down with my paws, and put the keepers in. It was a nightmare. (after the 12th valve my hands were destroyed, and I was out of strength.. I did the first 12 in half an hour, the last 4 took me an hour and a half) The Autozone Valve spring compressor didn't leave enough room for me to get the keepers in place. This is my first head, and I'm sure there was an easier way.. but I got that bastard together, eventually.

I need to add that to my 'buy' list.

-Des!

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I hate that valve spring tool.....

no need for that lapper, cordless drill works just fine......
yeah i found out 10 mins after i bought it when the mech at my job was like.... hey ree why did you buy that when all you have to used is a piece of hose, svrew/bolt and a drill? i was like, WTF!?!?! he put valve into the tube and a screw which went into the other end the in the drill. Viola instant lapper, for under .50 cents. and i payed $7 for the lapper.

here's what the mech at my job uses for a lapper and he was a tech at one of big honda dealers in Atl.

here's the part

and here it looks w/a accord valve in it, the screw parts connects to the drill.

Holy crap, if I had that tool last weekend I would be much happier today.

I literally muscled the valve retainers down with my paws, and put the keepers in. It was a nightmare. (after the 12th valve my hands were destroyed, and I was out of strength.. I did the first 12 in half an hour, the last 4 took me an hour and a half) The Autozone Valve spring compressor didn't leave enough room for me to get the keepers in place. This is my first head, and I'm sure there was an easier way.. but I got that bastard together, eventually.

I need to add that to my 'buy' list.

-Des!
i have a spring compresser. i tried it out i was like fuck that shit i'll pay someone to do this. till i was reading Modifer mag, i saw someone doing a rebuild head with one of the valve keeper remover i was like bam i want one. snap-on wanted $60 w/s&h but i found it on-line for $35. the cool thing is there is only one company that makes it. Lisle. the cool thing is that when you place it on the spring you tap it w/a mallet and it comes apart in seconds w/the keepers stuck(magneted) w/the retainer. then it goes back together jaust as quick as it came apart.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
You can do the same thing with a socket and a socket magnet. You just find a socket that is the same OD as the retainer and get a set of socket magnets from Sears (really usefull for putting bolts back in place, too), clip your extension on, and pop! Your done. Installation is another matter, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.