·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

im in the process of prepping a D16y1 Head (same as D16z6) to put onto my D15b7

i have dissasembled everything and got the head down to just the valve guides
im also going to take it into the machine shop for a clean, skim and check for any possible problems

i have a few questions...

1. my garage is fully enclosed - but the valve guides and a few other bits have started to corode a little - will the machine shop be able to deal with this or will they have to be replaced?

2. i cant seem to get the valve stem seals off - will the machine shop do this for me?

3. lastly - im going to do some very light PnP work on the head - should i do this before or after i take it into the machine shop?

thanks for any constructive replies!!

:sweatdrop:

·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a way i can tell if the head is bent before starting PnP work?

·
Premium Member
Honda City
2,438 Posts
It's called a machinist's straight edge. See if you can rent one or buy one. Then keep it diagonally on the head surface in various positions and use a feeler gauge to check for warpage. The feeler gauge specs are given in the service manual.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
hey guys

im in the process of prepping a D16y1 Head (same as D16z6) to put onto my D15b7

i have dissasembled everything and got the head down to just the valve guides
im also going to take it into the machine shop for a clean, skim and check for any possible problems

i have a few questions...

1. my garage is fully enclosed - but the valve guides and a few other bits have started to corode a little - will the machine shop be able to deal with this or will they have to be replaced?

The machine shop can hot tank the head to thoroughly clean it.

2. i cant seem to get the valve stem seals off - will the machine shop do this for me?

Yes they can do this but you should be able to do it as well with a pair of pliers.

3. lastly - im going to do some very light PnP work on the head - should i do this before or after i take it into the machine shop?

Do it before.

thanks for any constructive replies!!

:sweatdrop:

·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the machine shop said they were going to sandblast it - not hot tank
i have called a couple of machine shops now and they all say the same thing
is this ok?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
soda for sure. and find out about a hot tank cuz that will get into the tight places that soda can't go.

·
Registered
AUSDM EG8 Sedan
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one thing i do need to know is ...

i currently have a Bisimoto Adjustable Cam Gear on my D15b7 with D16a6 Cam

will i be able to use the same Cam Gear on the D16y1/z6 setup? or will i have to replace it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts