1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently i have..

d16a6 block stock internals
d15b vtec head , milled .20in
with a 3layer Y8 Hg

so this gives me.. a 10.43:1 CR....

and since im currently building another
D15b vtec head, this time im gona Port it and have 3ang valve job done..

was wondering whats the most i can mill the head? without having issues, like cooling... etc...
searched on that.. but all i got was " ive seen sum1 run this run that " always bin
"ive seen" was wondering if any could shed a light on this...?

if i mill the head .030in
and run a 2layer Y8headgasket on my A6/d15b vtec mini me..
it will give me 11.02:1 CR.... that sounds good...
but i was wondering
if i can go .040in Mill and run 3layer Y8 headgasket and that will be about
10.9:1 sumthing CR... would be better since id be using 3layer HG.....

well.... as u can see im kinda confused what or how much milling i should do with my new head....

so hope sum1 could let me know whats the max service milling allowed.. or deemed safe...

and also the issue of piston to valve contact.... since im using an a6 block
Pm6 pistons.. and d15b vtec head(same casting as a d16z6 i think) in relation to milling the head... especially when i install a Comp 59300 in ther...

TIA guys

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
.030" is pretty standard for milling these heads and that's what I'm running.
You shouldn't have any cooling issues.

Also, I've had real good success with even a 1-layer Y8 head gasket, but I suggest that if you're going to tamper with the HG you should use ARP headstuds.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ey man tnx for the quick rep! well yeah thats why i was asking for the max mill allowed that would still render my head safe from cooling issues...

cuz running a 2layer y8 HG would be like my last resort.. as i dont feel like tampering the oe HG .....

thats why i was leaning on the .040in mill... but im still unsure... read sumwer that .050in mill is the most we could go.. but im still unsure of that...

btw ikarusdown.. how long have u bin running ur engine with the head milled .030in?
thats about .75mm right and r u running a 2layer y8?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts