Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I noticed, after I did my mini me swap...my head lights and dash lights dim at times. Now, the other lights dont. For example the lights on my cd player don't dim at all. Just the head lights, cluster, instrament panel, etc.

This all happend before I converted to the p28 ECU.

Now, here is the deal...

Say I'm driving down the road. Not beating the car, not doging the car, etc.

All of a sudden my lights will dim. Now, if I let go of my gas, and let he car roll w/ no gas but still in gear, the lights get bright again. If I give it gas, they dim. Let up on the throttle, they get bright.

WTF

Anyone have ideas?? Please help, it's so fucking anoying.

Thanks,

Jeremy

·
Registered
934 Posts
try upgrading you alternator maybe to a b series? it should mount the same you might have to swap out the pulley.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don't see how it could be the alternator. I could, or would play w/ the belt if all the lights dimmed. But it's only the head lights and cluster/instrament panel lights. CD player doesn't dim at all.

:confused:

·
D-series Strom Trooper
1,085 Posts
oh and your Cd Player runs off such a low voltage something like that wont show, when cd players dim when a system is in the car it bc theres so much draw to the battery and Alt. but on something like that it wont or should dim. but i might be wrong

·
Registered
934 Posts
keep in mind that the led's in a radio/cd player use less voltage than a standard instrument bulb. I would check all your grounds for starters, if you spliced the harness recheck all areas where you might have cut or spliced. If you cant find any faults the I would recommend checking the alternator or replacing it. I dont see how a swap or minime upgrade would use anymore power than normal unless you have other things that are drawing power, IE AMPS, foglights, Lightning caps etc... or faulty wiresomewhere.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a amp in my car, for my sterio. But, I shut the sterio off which turns the amp off of course, and it still does it.

I went over all the wiring, and even added a few grounds to the motor. Nothing seems to be touching bare metal, and everything is taped up securely. :(

I don't see what would cause this to happen either. Perhaps my y7 dizzy??

I'm really confused on it. I really don't think it's the alternator. I mean, it's possible. But for it to go bad the day my swap was to gether is kinda weird. The belt seems pleanty tight, I don't think it's slipping.

I guess I can double check it, and check my tensioner on it, maybe it's slighly loose?

Also, the car seems to only start doing it once vtec engages. Could be wrong though, might be just how it happens. *sigh*

I'm confused guys. Thanks for the replys and keep em coming. :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
hows the life on your battery? I dont see how it could be the dizzy, but for shits and giggles check it out. Well hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it. good luck!

·
D-series Strom Trooper
1,085 Posts
yeah if everything seems ok just check the dizzy im sure its not it, but hey who knows, and check all the wires running back to your amp too.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, all of the above seems legit. It really bothers me. It's just more anoying then anything.

Battery, not sure. Last I checked it's full, I could put it on the charger I guess...

I'm still lost. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts