Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was dyno tuning, and started spitting coolant out of the overflow. Tuner said headlift was pressurizing the system.

I'm running 8.7 psi on a b7/z6 mini me.

HAS ARP HEADSTUDS. Did not retorque them after a couple heat cycles though.

Question is...should I just retorque them?

Thanks.
Levi

·
Banned
844 Posts
I seriously doubt your getting headlift on 9psi, with arp studs. You sure your car just wasnt getting hot from being on the dyno?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I'd try retorquing them first, otherwise the head may be warped. You could be getting headlift at 9PSI, but you would have to have a horrible tune for that to happen.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
uhhh... u should definantly retorque them! hopefully u havnt already done any damage...thing is, they are required to be retorqued because the heat causes the bolts to expand and shrink and stretch and if udont retorque soon u could warp your head...another thing is how is your PCV vented?? if it even is vented?? there was a thread a couple weeks or months back about a guy having similar problems as to you...u should search it and read it and about venting your PCV.....:skull:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the symptoms.

1. At full boost (around 5.5k), coolant shoots out of the overflow.
2. Just normal driving, after about 30 minutes regular driving (never taking it over 4k), the temp will go almost into the red.

I retorqued them today to 70ft/lbs. Still heats up pretty good, haven't been able to put it on the dyno to see if it shoots coolant.

PCV system is unhooked from the intake manifold, that is all that is done to it. No catch can is being run, just a breather filter on the valve cover.

***Could this be a blown headgasket as well?

Thanks for the help boys, the quicker the responses the better.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd try retorquing them first, otherwise the head may be warped. You could be getting headlift at 9PSI, but you would have to have a horrible tune for that to happen.
Tune is set between 11 and 11.5 a/f throughout the powerband. Made a very solid power curve.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
is there any oil mixed with the coolant?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every time I have looked, it just seems to be coolant. No sign of oil, so basically throwing out the idea of a bad headgasket.

Any more ideas?

1. Pull timing
2. Resurface head and make sure to torque/retorque ARP's
3. Get bigger/better radiator to see if that stops it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have retorqued the ARP's. Doesn't seem to shoot any coolant out, but the car has been heating up very quickly, not overheating because I turn the heat on, but I'm sure it would be in the red on the temp meter.

What to do about this?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
does the radiator fan come on?

air in cooling system

with all the coolant that was being pushed into the overflow tank, did you add more coolant back into the system?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does the radiator fan come on?

air in cooling system

with all the coolant that was being pushed into the overflow tank, did you add more coolant back into the system?
I'm going to check and make sure the fan is coming on.

When I try and bleed the coolant, if I try and use the nipple right by the block/head, at the end of the upper radiator hose, nothing comes out. Don't know what that means, but I get the air out by opening the radiator cap.

Yes, I add more coolant back. I'm going to drain the radiator. I have more antifreez in it than water. I'm going to see if water will do the trick.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Might just be that you need a beefer radiator. Happen to my brother 00' gsr turbo. It have arp head studs and all that crap. We change water pump and everything else we can think of. Still fill the overflow tank. Bought an aftermarket koyo radiator and never have a problem since.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I'm going to order one today or tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
just throwing this out there. my cousin was having a over heating problem and it was a blown head gasket. he ended up frying his rings as a result.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts