Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you tell if you lifted the head??? the other night i was racing a cobra on the freeway ( no traffic of course ) and it was at 16 psi t3 .42 .48 ... my motor is 8.04:1 d15z1 block with a y8 head...

now theres a little oil on the front of the motor it looks like its comong from the hg area on the front of the motor.. on the same corner right above the engine code...

any help would be appreciated... the car runs fine.. no loss of water or anything else.. just the oil

Reactions: Sohc Wrath

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
how can you tell if you lifted the head??? the other night i was racing a cobra on the freeway ( no traffic of course ) and it was at 16 psi t3 .42 .48 ... my motor is 8.04:1 d15z1 block with a y8 head...

now theres a little oil on the front of the motor it looks like its comong from the hg area on the front of the motor.. on the same corner right above the engine code...

any help would be appreciated... the car runs fine.. no loss of water or anything else.. just the oil
hmm...sure it's not the distributor input area and/or valve cover?

What's holding the head down? Studs or bolts? I doubt studs would stretch and lift if torqued properly, even if you were pinging hard...

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
using 8 z6 headbolts and 2 y8 headbolts... NOT STUDS... im going to check the dizzy area tomarrow.. maybe pull the dizzy and check the seal

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
if you are seeing oil, im going to guess VC gasket or dizzy o-ring

if the hg had went, there would be coolant on the motor. would be a little less likely to see oil

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
just because u dont see coolant doesnt mean that ur head gasket isnt fucked....after running hard see if ur upper coolant rubber hose swells up... also when u turn ur car off see if ur coolant resavoir fills all the way up...the area u mentioned, is known to be a spot that the HG usually takes a shit if its not leaking from the cam seal. best thing is do a compression test. If u arnt satisfied with the compression tester, do a leak down test. what i really want to know is if u spanked that cobra? :p

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well... the first few times i was letting off because i was scared to be at 16 psi.. i would half throttle it so it would be at 12psi.. and he would pull 2-3 cars from 80-130 then one of the times i full throttled it and was on his ass from 90-120 then we slowed down to 80 and i just said fuck it... no guts no glory.. full throttle 16psi next to him, pulled a half a car and thats about it.. he was on my ass.. got the needle straight down and let off after i floated 2 lanes.. that was kinda scary

anyways... im not loosing any power at all... but that next day i remeber it was low on coolant.. but i figured thats just cuz it heated up a little from beating on it for 7 miles

ill check it out tomarrow and let u guys know how it goes

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
did you pull on teh Corba? <--- all that really matters :)

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
when my head was lifting my overflow would be full and the car would over heat when beating on it.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
My overflow would just fill all the way up, it would never overheat for some reason?
mine wouldn't overheat to the point of having to pull over, it would get almost all the way up on the temp gauge, then it would go back to normal when I let out of it.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
when my HG popped(and it was barely blown :TD: ), my car would just overheat while driving for long periods. when i beat on it it wouldnt heat up unless it was for a long time...

my overflow never swelled, oil never mixed with coolant, nothing like that

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well.. i drove the car around all day.. the coolant is full and the overflow is halfway full ( how i always have it )... im thinking its the distributor o ring cuz theres a little bit of oil on the tranny near the dizzy... it just freaked me out after pushing 16psi on a stock block stock head and stock headstuds and seeing oil on the front of the motor.. i thought maybe i lifted the head....

gonna replace the dizzy o ring and see what happens..

thanks for all the help guys +1 rep

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you are seeing oil, im going to guess VC gasket or dizzy o-ring

if the hg had went, there would be coolant on the motor. would be a little less likely to see oil
yep

oil would be from: dizzy, valve cover gasket, VTEC spool valve gasket at the back of the head (z6 head)

coolant problems = blown HG and/or lifted head

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep

oil would be from: dizzy, valve cover gasket, VTEC spool valve gasket at the back of the head (z6 head)

coolant problems = blown HG and/or lifted head
yea.. my friend has a b16 out of a xsi integra.. we replaced the cam seal vtec spool valve seal and valve cover.. his leaked from the corner of the head... just like where i thought mine was leaking...there would be oil just in that one spot..

but anyways.. thanks guys

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
when my head was lifting my overflow would be full and the car would over heat when beating on it.
wouldnt your car not run very poorly if at all if you lifted the head? cuz if you lift the head then you have no compression right?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts