Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, when finished my turbo build, seven months ago, i installed a manual boost controller on my car because my wastegate has a 5 psi spring, i wanted a little moar boost for racing at the track so, i set the boost to 7 psi, everything was working good until one day i did a 2nd pull and felt like the engine gets to rev limiter too soon, did anothe pull and it hapened again, did one more and i saw my boost gauge reading like 9psi, fortunatelly the overboost protection feature was set to 9 psi; after all that, changed the MBC because the other one (ebay BTW :tu: ) was fucked up :pinch: .
Well, 3 weeks ago my engine started pushing coolant into the overflow tank and it wasn't going back into the radiator, i refused to believe it was the HG, so i changed the rad cap, the intake manifold gasket, the thermostat, and nothing changed, did a compression test and all seems to be good.........well i'm going too long..........

Took the head off

This is the cilynder where the compression was escaping from

The rest of the cilynders seems to be in good shape

Carbon deposits

Now look at this ¡¡¡¡¡

What do you Experts think??
Was it head lift??
Do you think i need to resurface the head??

I already ordered ARP head studs and a new OEM HG

Thanks for your advices¡¡

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think that with the new HG and the ARP head studs will be all right?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Stick u a good flat edge piece of metal on there and use ur feeler gauge to check out ur clearance. Then u will know if u need to be resurface. Most likely u are fine, but it takes no time to check it. Better be safe then sorry..

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
We just seen this a few weeks back on a customers car, headstuds seemed to be torqued wrong and was causing the head to lift, it also caused some warpage in the head.

So, get a flat edge on there, inspect the head every where, or take it some where and let them do it. Most likely the head is warped a little as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys, thank you very much for your answers, i guess i better take the head to a shop for inspection. The only thing i'm afraid of, is about they cutting too much the head, beacuse the engine's CR is going to raise a little isn't it?
What do you think about it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, i understood, i know what i have to do, thanks again for your help, and, rep for you¡¡¡

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
even if you shave the head .010 it wont bump your CR up that much
PS:

quit being a va-j-j 10psi at least man!!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Hahaha, thanks man¡¡¡ 10 psi sounds a LOT for my STOCK D , but let me see what i can do :td:
:greddy2:

10 isnt shit if the motor is relatvley fresh

hell my almost 250k motor is taking 10 out of an ebay "44 trim"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
10psi aint shit for a stock d if tuned properly. even if its a 57trim
:greddy2:

10 isnt shit if the motor is relatvley fresh

hell my almost 250k motor is taking 10 out of an ebay "44 trim"
Well, the engine looks in good shape, it's having ARP studs and new HG, and you are the experts¡¡¡¡...... i'll do it¡¡¡

Yeah, i know it sound gay haha, but i don't wanted too much abuse on my engine because it's my DD, and its a little difficult and expensive for me to get parts and get a good and reliable tune.
I just got an ostrich, what i need now is to refine my tuning skills ,after that, hell i'll try it .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump....

I took the head to a machine shop for a fly cut, like you guys told me.

Took the valve cover and painted black.

Cleaned the carbon deposits from the pistons.

And i just got this from a friend this morning :td:

I hope to have my car running tonight¡¡¡

1 - 20 of 31 Posts