Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sup guys, new here, but ive had a boosted D16 for over a year.... Ive looked all over the search, an not much has really touched upon a stock block and head lift.

so quick intro, ive initially started off with 160hp tuned with a n/a exhaust, than swapped over to a 2.5 inch an picked up another 30hp after a quick retune, than afterwards, went back with a electronic boost controller and netted 200hp (140kw) easy, now comes the problems with it....

The car has progressively gotten worse over the months, so i suspect it is head lift and a blown HG, i keep blowing coolant and often will blow a hint of white smoke but it goes away once warmed up, and will loose heaps of coolant with zero signs of coolant dripping, so it must be loosing it to the head gasket thats popped, as far as i know i do have a blown HG, but once thats fixed i suspect the same deal will happen once i start boosting.

my tuner have talked over about the tune, and that itself has zero detonation or signs or it, so how is it possible for us to head lift without zero signs of it?
Too much timing?

I will be replacing the HG and machining the head in a months time to see if it makes any difference, at this point im starting to get over it :(

Mods:
Suburu TD04l
Greddy Profec b II - 12.5 psi tuned
Cast iron manifold
FMIC kit
Megan 2.5" cat back
200 Cell high flow cat
Custom Dump pipe AC/PS clears 2.25"
440cc Precision injectors with OBD1-OBD2 clips
Walbro 255 pump
HD clutch
ARP studs
FMU: Emanage blue with H2 PnP harness and Boost sensor

The dip in the power band was due to a aging wastegate not responding too well to the EBC

cheers guys

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
10 years ago I had a similar issue with a d15b7, y8 head combo. The engine would eat head gaskets, but checking the plugs I found no signs of detonation. With the head off, the pistons, chamber, and valves all looked good.

Originally the timing maps I ran were pulled from a P28, and adjusted for from there. On the dyno timing was advanced until we stopped making power, and the graph got a little choppy. Then we backed it off a few degrees. This left us right around 20* total timing at 10psi (DSM 14b turbo).

After eating a couple of head gaskets we had a hunch it was something in the tune. We found that cutting the timing almost in half only resulted in a few lost HP, but head gasket problems became a thing of the past.

You may want to revisit those ignition maps.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
More info needed.

Fuel type?

Plug gap?

Psi?

Also, please tell me that the Greddy Emanage box is disabled.....

·
Certified O.G.
5,605 Posts
10 years ago I had a similar issue with a d15b7, y8 head combo. The engine would eat head gaskets, but checking the plugs I found no signs of detonation. With the head off, the pistons, chamber, and valves all looked good.

Originally the timing maps I ran were pulled from a P28, and adjusted for from there. On the dyno timing was advanced until we stopped making power, and the graph got a little choppy. Then we backed it off a few degrees. This left us right around 20* total timing at 10psi (DSM 14b turbo).

After eating a couple of head gaskets we had a hunch it was something in the tune. We found that cutting the timing almost in half only resulted in a few lost HP, but head gasket problems became a thing of the past.

You may want to revisit those ignition maps.
This exactly. Look into it, it may be the problem you're after.

Also, another problem is your OBD2 Emanage junk. Convert OBD1, grab an S300, neptune, or something along those lines, and enjoy the good life.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, im fairly sure im running around 18 - 20 advance timing as well, so once the HG is replaced, shall need to revist to back off the timing

Obviously every car is different, but what would you normally back off the timing till? enough to loose power, but not enough to make a massive power drop?

Currently tuned on Premimum 98 RON (australian spec fuel)
plugs are standard bkr7e, not gapped as most have stated shouldnt need to gap them
running 12.5 psi

I do agree that emanage isnt all that, but it was the only choice i had back than, previously i had had a hondata P72 but the chip got burnt out, so i was left stranded with a boosted motor, but no types of FMU or ecu, and a emanage had turned up, desperate times call for desperate parts lol

I will switch to a Neptune P72 nxt yr with a full rebuild, but for the time being i will stick to a Emanage to get me through the yr untill i can afford the rebuild/neptune

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
With your setup and headstuds, I would be blown away if you had head lift. So I have to agree and say you need to recheck your timing. If you have ready access to a dyno, I would say drop off 3-4* and see what happens. depending on the result, if the power falls into the floor add 2 back in. But Im thinking you may not see a huge drop in power, just a more reliable tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts