Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Head gasket question about putting the middle layer from a 3 layer metal gaskit. Should i use the outer 2 layers and leave out the middle or use just the middle layer from the 3 layer metal gasket? I am for the time being going all motor and i know that a thinner head gasket will bump compression. The head is a d16y8 and the block is a d15b7, i am however going to turbo this at 4 psi when i get piping for my turbo kit.
I know that to high compression is not a good idea with a stock, non built turbo motor but i wanna know about how much compression this will bump it up, how much if any hp will be gained. I know that i should run the 3 layer that way compression wont be to high with the turbo, but any input, advice, thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I have run it a few ways:
Just the middle
Just 1 Black layer
2 Black layers
Never had a issue with any of those configurations, I highly reccomend Indian Head Gasket Sealer, its seals up HG's great.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
or copper RTV . . . it is what I ended up using on my b2 block because it looked much too rough to even consider a cometic.

Personally, I would mill the head before I thought about taking a cometic apart.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
I tried getting the HG apart for that .1 more compression, not worth it!!!!!

Slap on a stock Z6/Y8 HG and go.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
If anything.... I would run the outer 2 layers. The center peice is flat, and the outers have a quench to it. But as long as it seals, it works

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
i should run the 3 layer that way compression wont be to high with the turbo
That's my opinion.

A y8 head on a b7 block already puts your compression ratio in the high 10's, and a 2-layer would raise it roughly a couple tenths. I would discourage taking a head gasket apart for more compression, potentially at the expense of reliability and tuning ease when you get the turbo. In fact, if you are going turbo, I'd recommend a thicker head gasket to lower your compression ratio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts