Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cars has 200K and a new HG seems pointless without a rebuild.

where can i find the oem bearings for cheap? or can i just slap a set of STD size bearings?

i plan on a metal HG, and possibly studs.

what are some good cheap Piston Rings i can use?

anything else that i should have to replace besides the valve seals and gaskets?

I'm really broke and just want to get rid of the car, but running. I dont know maybe i should just do the top end and get rid of it.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
6,693 Posts
where u located at?

·
i save your ass when you wreck
6,693 Posts
well if ur lookin to sell the car lol let me kno!

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
11,260 Posts
so can i just throw a set of ACL bearings, or do i need to clearance them? what happens if they dont clearance?
If you're going to sell it, just replace the Head Gasket from your Local Auto Parts store and sell it.
If you decide to keep her, the Head Gasket should do for right now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're going to sell it, just replace the Head Gasket from your Local Auto Parts store and sell it.
If you decide to keep her, the Head Gasket should do for right now.
well, i can do the labor myself, and i believe i should do it all at one time. or is it simple to replace the bearings, and rering it with the head on.

·
11,260 Posts
well, i can do the labor myself, and i believe i should do it all at one time. or is it simple to replace the bearings, and rering it with the head on.
Nope! You gots to take off the Head. Sorry.

I would Rebuild it only if you're going to keep her.

It's be better to pull the Motor out and Rebuild the Block. I think the Hardest Part is to take the Engine out and throw it back in...

Replacing Bearings, Rings, Seals, Etc is the Fun Part:biggrin:

·
11,260 Posts
Was there more wrong other than just the headgasket why would you do a rebuild because the HG blew. Something is not connecting here
Well, with 200k + on the Engine, I feel where Op is coming from....

But still, a new HG will do just fine for now.

Edit:
But then again..... How much Oil are we talking about?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
i suggest a simple hone and re-ring i could do all of that in one or two days buy a set of mains and conrod ACL bearings, plastigauge them (yeah that takes longer but atleast you know they are in good clearance) buy some hastings rings off ebay a lower pan gasket and a head gasket set (valve stem seals headgasket bla bla bla) and throw it together.

·
11,260 Posts
i suggest a simple hone and re-ring i could do all of that in one or two days buy a set of mains and conrod ACL bearings, plastigauge them (yeah that takes longer but atleast you know they are in good clearance) buy some hastings rings off ebay a lower pan gasket and a head gasket set (valve stem seals headgasket bla bla bla) and throw it together.
Yup. But the Question is, is the Op going to sell the Car?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats what i was thinking. but that if they dont clearance out?

also, im not completely sure i want to get rid of it. its a fun little car and i get excellent gas mileage on like 5psi. with a metal gasket/studs and $60dsm injectors i could see 10psi. plus ill have a rebuilt engine.i wouldn't dare 10psi on 200k bottom end. would it be worth more with
a rebuilt engine?

why you calling me op? whats that?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
True. But then again, I would keep the Damn thing:biggrin:
when i finish my project car, i wont really have a use for it except for a daily, which is a great idea because of gas and the fun it provides. but i'm sure someone wants more than i do, and a good home for the civ could be a great thing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts