Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to post a new thread for this but I wanted to make sure people saw it. My engine has been overheating and Ive been told its more than likely a head gasket. I consider myself a decent mechanic but Ive never taken apart an engine. How hard is it to change the head gasket. What does it consist of, how expensive, etc. Ive searched but not been able to find anything helpful.

B

·
0 Posts
It's pretty easy to do, I've done it many times, The hardest part is getting off the crankshaft pulley. buy yourself a service manuel it will help you out a ton

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
^^^ why would you take off your crankpulley?
If you can handle setting your timing, and removing your manifolds(hoses,sensors n crap) you should have no problem doing it yourself. all youd have to buy is the gasket and maybe some oil, if you take it to a shop it'll cost 700+.
sounds like maybe you have a bad water pump and thats why your headgasket blew, cause blowing your head gasket doesn't make your car overheat until you've lost alot of coolant, and it would suck to replace it and then blow another one cause a faulty water pump(i've done it). also if it has overheated badly you may have warped your head, and possibly need a new one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not losing any coolant. Sometimes I drive and it never goes past halfway on the temp gauge. Im haveing a compression test done now. Can anyone suggest a manual? Im probably getting a helms soon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any special tools? I was told I need a good torque wrench. Also, which ARP studs do I get. I have a d15b and Im not seeing specific studs for it.

·
Registered
96 hatch
593 Posts
definatley a torque wrench, and i've changed headgaskets without replacing the studs, but unless your getting strong ones for a future build up i'd just stick with some honda oe's

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i just did mine this weekend, it was my first head gasket job.. took me 6 hours of slacking time.. i can do it in half the time now since i know how to do it.. as for the cost expect to pay 30 for the head gasket, 10 for the exhaust mani gasket, 7 for the intake gasket, and i spent 100 on arp studs and 100 for machine work to the head.. you need your basic and tools, torque wrench, and if your gonna do the water pump and timing belt your gonna have a bitch of a time to get the crank pulley off without an impact gun..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts