Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Nor Cal D-series rider
1991 Honda Civic STD
810 Posts
Nice linkage there. :TU: If you save like 15 lbs, thats almost a 3 hp gain! Plus a better balanced car as well. When my stocker dies Im getting a Hawker now.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hondaluver said:
wow do u have a link for that battery, its tiny!!!
a link? like this?
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQfromZR9QQfromZR9QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsassZodysseyQ5fworld

you don't necessarily need the 680. You could probably get by with a 625, 545 or maybe even a 535 and save a little more space, weight, and money, but they're not as powerful. I went with the 680 because I've got an amp in my car and though I don't use the radio often (exhaust = music :smile: ) I wanted to stay on the safe side.
Here's a link to all the spec's you could need on any Hawker Odyssey batt.
http://www.batterymart.com/pdf_files/odyssey_guide.pdf

-ic

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
This was posted in a thread I started awhile back about the same basic subject. The link shows the Hawker--I've forgotten which model it is.
sts2soon said:
I personally am creeped out about the "offgassing" and I would only relocate it to the rear with a sealed gel-type.

Alunimum channel is cheap at the home improvement place and its fairly easy to make brackets with it.

You might have already seen my battery bracket on my old EP3 (RIP)
http://67.64.83.73/dmcknight/batt/
Im doing something similar with the same battery for the CRX
I picked up the battery last month and I have to say, its the only car battery I've ever picked up with one hand. It weighs very little and looks like an RC battery in my Rex's engine bay.

CHECK OUT the link!!

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
here is a quick question:

since I have a stereo in my car and am thinking about getting a dry cell batery anyway, should I look into getting the PC680MJ
with automotive terminals? I am not looking to relocate my battery, I just want something that is a dry cell and something that is lighter.

here is the link to the one I found on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=7950437295&rd=1

I am really impressed on the price of these things, I was considering an optima, but after seeing these, I think my mind has been changed.

·
Hondaphile
see above
1,113 Posts
I have looked at those in the past, still may get one, but think I will probably leave it in the stock location....I'm not worried about moving the weight and just like the idea of a smaller, lighter battery.

·
Adia's Daddy
2004 Honda Element
3,364 Posts
ottomaticjack said:
I have looked at those in the past, still may get one, but think I will probably leave it in the stock location....I'm not worried about moving the weight and just like the idea of a smaller, lighter battery.
For you otto and those like me who plan to keep the battery in the stock location but want to lighten the load, here's the only link you need:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=695215 :TU:

For some reason, it looks strikingly similar to the Spoon and TR1 racing batteries. I'm going to go ahead and assume that a Spoon battery stay (made small for their small racing battery) will work with the Hawker unit in the above link.

**EDIT** Good info BTW icarus :TU: :TU:

·
Registered
345 Posts
wow... the first link is ancient. :p. I did this battery relocation like... 2 years ago. Tiny battery does struggle a lil in the winter.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm replacing my stock battery here soon. Just out of curiosity, how long will it hold a charge if the car is stored for the winter? Started every 2-3 monthes.

·
0 Posts
I'm just wondering if anyone here knows how much 18 feet of 4-guage power wire weighs? That stuff is pretty darn heavy, and I'm wondering, with all the added wiring, if you would actually save any weight when relocating the battery.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I only had to run about five feet of 4 gauge wire. It weighed less than 2 pounds at the most but I saved about 15-20 pounds by switching batteries. Lead is heavy shit. Optimas are really good batteries, but our little motors don't need that much power to start. Optimas = too heavy AND too expensive.

->Mr. Nicolas:
I've got the PC680 (w/o metal jacket or MJ) and it starts my d16y7 no probs. I've also got an 800 watt amplifier. My stereo runs fine and only ever had to jump my car with this battery b/c I accidently left the dome light on for some 48 hours. The battery recharged absolutely fine and still starts my car like a champ.

-ic

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
yeah remember you have to add a battery kill switch to stay track legal also.:beer:

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
icarusdown said:
an excuse for another switch!
haha yeah and also a vent tube for the battery gases.
my shop says dont do it but i have a curious itch to try:beer:

J

·
0 Posts
NastyHabitzCRX said:
haha yeah and also a vent tube for the battery gases.
my shop says dont do it but i have a curious itch to try:beer:
that particular hawker battery is solid chemical (no liquid acid like regular battery) so there are NO GASES to vent.

-Juan

P.S. jegs has the battery kill switch road race style in there catalog at a decent price.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts