Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
used Hawk's HP+ for my last 2 brake chanes and they were amazing. Bite hard, never fades, super reliable. However, brake dust and noise was starting to get on my nerves. So I started looking at other options. I saw Hawk had these new HPS 5.0 pads that are supposedly betwen HP+ and regular HPS (which has also been reformulated, I think).

I originally bought HP+ because I was starting to track my car and wanted a reliable pad for it. I've read that the HPS is only really good for street, so that wasn't an option. But now I don't track so much, so I wanted somethinf a little milder. There wasn't a lot of reviews for this pad since it's so new, but I'm biting the bullet for your guys and letting you know how they are.

First impressions (4 days):
totally different character from the HP+. The + wants to bite hard and STOP, but these aren't so aggressive. Had to adjust my braking for the less torquey bite. However, VERY easy to modulate, makes heel-and-toe more smooth with braking.

That said, press a little harder and they really can dig in. A much more street-friendly pad, I'd recommend this for people who are new to tracks and want a tough pad that's easy to drive with. The HP+ was maybe a steep learning curve for me at first, these 5.0 pads should be easier. And what's great is there's no noise or dust at all!

There's a little graph on Hawk's site that shows how all their pads do with heat, and these really are a middle ground pad. Their optimum and max temperature rating is only like 5° less than the HP+, so I think these will hold up well on a track day (and if your car isn't so heavy).

UPDATE!! 4/15
Canyon run:
Took my car to the local canyon, which is hard on brakes. These pads never missed a beat! Never faded (at like 8/10ths of pushing it) and still easy to modulate. Some might not like how mild the bite it, but it's good if you want to really fine tune your brake pressure without upsetting the car.

I will keep this updated as I keep driving them. I'm planning a track day in September, so hopefully I'll really get to test them.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update 9/9/16

Haven't had a chance to really push these pads yet, been tight on money, so no track day. But they have started to squeal a bit when they're cold and moving slow, just a brief squeak when I initially step in the pedal.

As for dust, they make quite a bit of dust now. Still, they're well behaved and consistent in day-to-day driving streets and freeways.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 3/10/2017

Got to really push these pads on a road that's really tough on brakes. Overall, pretty soft, not really biting, although that could be more due to my brake fluid being very old and probably full of air. Although, the pedal feel was CONSISTENT. It sort of got to a point where it felt a bit mushy, but it stayed the same. I could still brake, but maybe not as much as I originally though. (Again, probably need to bleed my brakes.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts