Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guy need some help.
When we install the clutch the hole between the fingers shrink so much that the release bearing no longer fits.
I have two possible solutions
a. I can put some washers between the flywheel and the pressure plate
b. I can grind out the inside of the fingers a little bit.

What would you recomend and any Idea why this is happening.
We are using the thin type plate Excedy stage 2 with Excedy stage 2 Light Steel fly wheel.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
did your torque it to spec? or did you just hammer it on?

you might possibly need the get a OEM TOB because the aftermarket onces sometimes dont fit correctly.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
id like to see some pictures of this.

is the flywheel resurfaced correctly?

verify the step is the correct height between the PP mounting surface and the friction surface.

is this the 3 puck exedy clutch?

they have a "thin" and a "thick" version. most use the thin version.. that could be the problem perhaps?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I agree with Danz. check to see if the flywheel is milled correctely. another guy on here was having the same problem and that was the fix. GL

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Its a stage 2 ceramic puck. with a solid steel light flywheel. All Excedy parts. Its the thin type
is the flywheel new?

exedy knows how to build a clutch, after all they made the OEM clutches on the car.

i would contact Exedy technical support.

edit; i just re-read your original post. and where exactly are you trying to "fit" the throw out bearing?

it shouldnt "fit" between anything. it should simply sit in top of the fingers of the pressure plate.

like this

·
Premium Member
The Wife and the Car
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The throw out bearing has two parts. One is the contact surace where it makes contact with the spring and applies pressure on the fingers.
Then it has a collar that needs to slide into the center of the bearings. Lets call it the Guide Collar.

Our problem area is that the collar makes contact with the fingers first.
This only happens when we bolt the pressure plate down. Before bolting down the pressure plate it slides in fine. After bolting down the pressure plate The collar wont enter.
I swear by Excedy only no matter what they cost. No clutch comes close. Use them in every build I have done to date. First Time I am having issues though.
I guess if we where to face down the pressure plate a little it would sort it self out. As well as making it possible to reduce the stiffness of the clutch a bit.

Anybody have an idea on what the stock Fly wheel weight is ? I forgot to measure it.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
Why not just grind the guide sleeve back on the throw out bearing so it sits a little behind the part thats suppose to ride on the fingers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts