Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so in the last 2 months i've had 3 subs and 3 amps all shit out on me. i just spent the money on a new alpine type s 12 and it lasted me less than 10 minutes. i had sound then it locked up, then the amp got really hot afterward. my amp is now wasted i'm sure. getting a replacement sub tomorrow, need a new amp any body got any good recommendations for an amp to run a 12", 4ohm, dual voice coil, 300 watt rms, sub in a sealed box. i don't know anything about most of the newer stuff on the market.

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
don't buy another amp until you figure out what is wrong with your setup or user first.

Pics of your wiring to begin with.

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've done quite a few setups in the last 10 years. i'm not worried about my wiring at all. this is one of the smaller apps i've done though. mostly it's all been because i've been using ancient second hand hardware of unknown origin. i've decided to actually just buy all new now and be done with it. oh and with the motor swap comes a higher current alternator, so that's only a temporary concern.

·
Registered
98 Lx sedan
301 Posts
Is your box within spec for the sub? Does the amp or your radio have a "bass boost" setting and your using it? Are you having to turn up all the bass on the radio to make it louder? It sounds to me like you need a new box or your trying to over drive the sub with distortion. Distortion is the #1 killer of stereo equip.

·
Registered
234 Posts
the mrp-m500 is a nice amp, we just hooked one up tonight on a single mtx 5500 12 and it beat the shit out of the sub. definitely small but mighty. It would be plenty for that sub. We also ran one on a type r ten in a crx and I was pretty impressed. we had it in a pro box super bass box.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just to let you know i think crutchfield is WAY over priced.

try this site out. they had the amp you showed up above for 149

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19251
it may be cheaper there, but you cant get any warranty from that place unless they give warranty through their company. Most companies which alpine being one of them dont authorize internet sales and wont warranty anything sold on most internet site. Crutchfield is the only online site that I know of that is an authorized internet dealer.

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was just using the crutchfield link for the pic and the specs. i picked up the amp and warrantied the sub. put it all in and it beats like hel,l and is one of the cleanest sounding setups i've had yet.

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone explain how a higher output alternator helps a sound system and does it affect other components of the vehicle?
it's not gonna make perfect sense if you don't understand electricity. everything in your car draws a certain current. amplifiers generally draw much more current than most automotive systems or accessories, at higher volumes. a larger alternator serves to feed that extra current to the system so when, for example, your subs hit a really loud low note they don't drain your amp of power and get quiet due to a lack of flow coming in compared to what's going out. there's more to it but that's the basic idea. it's similar to having your kitchen faucet on half way vs. having it on all the way, and another tip if you run bigger power and ground wires it's like getting a bigger faucet to allow more flow.

·
Registered
93 eg hatch
124 Posts
Goodluck with the system setup. Hope you find the issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts