Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 99 3 door about 8 month ago, and at the time i knew the car had been modded, but didn't know the extend of the mod until recently when I washed out my Y8 engine after doing a mini-me stall with a Z6 VTEC head. After opening up my block to do the rebuild, we notice that my engine has previously been bored and stroked. The crank is a 1.7L crank, running Y8 rods and 76mm flat top pistons.

At this moment, we are in the middle of putting the engine back together, and I want to install a Crower stg 3 cam since I have the head out. However all of the mechanics are worried about the compression I will be hitting with the stg 3. Could anyone help me with an educated guess at what my compression is likely to be at before and after the stg 3 cam? Beside the setup above, I am running the stock Honda 3layer metal gasket.

Also, will I starve the engine with stock fuel injectors? I have upgraded my fuel pump to a 250 Sard unit and installed a Sard FPR, but I'm worried that my injectors would be insulficient to feed my engine. I do have the option of installing a set of 550cc Sard injectors but is also worried that the 550cc is overkill.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
the cam won't change your compression, you might want to run a compression test to figure what your current cr is...the cam only changes the amount of lift your valves will get and the duration they will remain open...

you should be fine with stock injectors...keep in mind i make this statement with only the parts you listed as being all that is done to your engine...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Additional work on the engine block included valve job, and a light mill on the head and block to get proper sitting (no more than .03). I'm also running an E-manage for tuning.

The mechanics metioned that I should expect pretty serious oil burn. They expect the engine to go through 2 quarts per week. I think this is pretty outragious but has been told that they've seen this type of oil burn with milder mods.

I wont be able to get a compression reading on the engine until we have everything back in the car early next week. I'm wondering if there is any possibility of me hitting 12.5:1+ compression?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
speedfiend said:
Additional work on the engine block included valve job, and a light mill on the head and block to get proper sitting (no more than .03). I'm also running an E-manage for tuning.

The mechanics metioned that I should expect pretty serious oil burn. They expect the engine to go through 2 quarts per week. I think this is pretty outragious but has been told that they've seen this type of oil burn with milder mods.

I wont be able to get a compression reading on the engine until we have everything back in the car early next week. I'm wondering if there is any possibility of me hitting 12.5:1+ compression?
WTF?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would definetly spend the money on standalone FMU or Learn Uberdata, Crome... The stockers(inj.) would prob. be O.K. If anything get some 310cc's from RC. That shit sounds crazy. Is the crank out of a d17? Are you using the d17 oil pump? I'm presently giving up on a stroker stage 3 N/a myself do to not enough info.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just finished putting the head on and measuring the compression. it's at 12.5KG at the moment. Would this be too high for a daily driver?

Yes, the crank came out of a D17 equivilant.

At the moment, I'm located in Taiwan due to work reasons. There's no access to Hondata or Chrome around here. Best I can do is to get a Power FC, but they cost an arm and a leg here. Plus very few people here can tune a FC properly without over charging.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
12.5 may need somewhere around 95 octane. Ther's a calculator someplace I believe. For some reason I feel like octane ratings are different from place to place too. Crome is free on the net, just get a laptop. What is a power FC? Like an Apexi AFC/VAFC. This type of device will probably not handle the environment you pose. If it's more like an E-manage for n/a and designed for other than mild stock builds. I just feel a finely tuned system is the only way you're gonna keep it on the road.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Apexi Power FC is similar to the HKS FCon Pro which is similar to the Hondata system, it's a direct ECU replacement with 32x32bit processing speed. Apexi makes a Power FC model with OBD 0 plug for the late model D15s and plugs directly into our 96-00 wiring harness.

For some strange reason, Hondata is not distributed here, even though the Honda aftermarket scene here is crazy. There is not a civic here that's not modified. No one burns chips here either, so I am at a loss to get some reliable help to work with me to tune Chrome or Uberdata. Plus Dyno runs are very expensive here if the shops aren't doing the tuning.

The E-Manage tuning here seems to be OK, many of the professional tuners have had their training in Japan (since the 2 countries are so close). the plugs are repinned based on tuning requirements and A/F, Spark, and fuel can all be tuned fairly in depth.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I absolutly agree with you that Octane rating various between places. They have 98 Octane here, but I seriously doubt it's anywhere near 98. I'll be happy if it's 95 Octane.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That type of fmu sounds o.k., with my limited experience. I bet if it says 98 it's lower. I think that's how europe is, someone wanna pipe in. If nobody's chipping there than I think you should. It's really not that hard especially with crome. But you already have your fmu so maybe in the future when you're lookin for somethin' new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts