Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
98 honda civic ex
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a crower stage one cam, and this is the distributor side, there should be noe reason for this to break like it did, i have only had it in there for about 3years or so. let me know if anyone hasrun into this before and what may have caused it.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I wanna say it's from a bad casting. Heard of other manufacturers breaking. But not on the distributors side. Find a stock cam and have delta do a regrind for you. And go stage 2 cuz stage 1 is worthless

·
Registered
98 honda civic ex
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanna say it's from a bad casting. Heard of other manufacturers breaking. But not on the distributors side. Find a stock cam and have delta do a regrind for you. And go stage 2 cuz stage 1 is worthless
yeah thats what i was leaning towards too, i wanted to have a stage one to not get much duration difference but more strength but in this case that wasnt the outcome haha. so im putting the stock cam back in for now untill i can figure out what cam i want now

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Id send that back to crower, and see what they think. Id say manufacturer defect myself, especially since its on the Distributor side. They might send you a new one or refund your money.

·
Registered
98 honda civic ex
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably not. I had a crankshaft that the key way fucked up and the gear/pulley were unscathed. Idiots who can't take apart a motor cost me $70
its not the key on the timing belt side, its the part that has two prongs on it that interlock with the cam, on the distributor

·
Registered
98 honda civic ex
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Id send that back to crower, and see what they think. Id say manufacturer defect myself, especially since its on the Distributor side. They might send you a new one or refund your money.
yeah i think i might give them a call today and see what they can do about it, id rather just get a refund, and get a celford or zex

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Delta FTW! I've heard nothing but good things about them and I hear their customer service is superb. Way better prices and quick turnaround. Won't get that anywhere else!

There 272 grind seems to be the fav. But they have several options. Give them a call.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
The million question, did you do anything to the motor right before that thing broke? It was well worn in...so that's not it. What exactly were you doing when that end broke like that? You weren't trying to re-attach the dizzy at 180 degrees and torquing down the 3 bolts were you? There's only one way they can go on there.

·
Registered
98 honda civic ex
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The million question, did you do anything to the motor right before that thing broke? It was well worn in...so that's not it. What exactly were you doing when that end broke like that? You weren't trying to re-attach the dizzy at 180 degrees and torquing down the 3 bolts were you? There's only one way they can go on there.
no i did not, and no it happened during the middle of an auto x race, just coming into a corner it died, and then we pushed it back to the pits and found this.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
looks to me like the dizzy was installed 180 degrees out. thats the only time ive seen that happen
Hmmmm I've actually never seen this. Could be metal fatigue from racing. He was pushing the engine pretty hard so that could be the case. Catastrophic failure

·
Registered
98 honda civic ex
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looks to me like the dizzy was installed 180 degrees out. thats the only time ive seen that happen
but if it was installed 180 out, it wouldnt run. when i was installing the dizzy about 3 months ago, it was 180 out and i was trying to get it on but i never forced it on, then i realized if was 180 out so i switched it and slid right in, it wasnever torqued down while 180 out.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
but if it was installed 180 out, it wouldnt run. when i was installing the dizzy about 3 months ago, it was 180 out and i was trying to get it on but i never forced it on, then i realized if was 180 out so i switched it and slid right in, it wasnever torqued down while 180 out.
it cracked then. and failed later.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
it cracked then. and failed later.
That is a possibility. Just weird that it cracked like that. You can see that the two halves split. Just take your stocker and get it reground. Much cheaper than buying a whole new one. And more reliable if done correctly because Honda makes great cores

Just remembered. Does your stocker rotate in your existing head? Your Crower could have bound up causing it to break

1 - 20 of 50 Posts