Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its going to sound kinda noobish but I thought I'd ask for a little car advise. I got out of work somewhere around 11:00am this morning after only 4hrs of sleep and I'm broke as hell, trying to save for a wedding.

Anyways I've been on the computer all day reading and trying to figure out if I should turbo one my cars or swap my B18B1 engine in and make it easier. My problem is no matter how much I read about a turbo I really don't think I'm smart enough to pull this thing off.:hammer: So I was wondering on a scale of 1-10 how hard would you say it is to hook up, tune and make it funtionable? This could be on eather a D16A6 or a D16Y8.

I own a 91 CRX Si with 61,486 mile on it, and also a 96 Ex Coupe with 136,327 miles. I envy Ryan's car just a little....;)

I think I have an addiction... I'm broke and still need to find something to do to my car.:(

:!:yeah I've search... sometimes talking to people helps more than reading.:!:

Reactions: Hellhatch

·
Registered
99'civic 4D
253 Posts
On a scale 1-10 puting a turbo in I'd say 6 due to welding. Now tuning to me would be a 10. I running Neptune for management.
D16y8
T3/t4 turbo

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on your skills and what you have to do. If you can turn a wrench i think you can do anything with the right help, research and info.
turn a wrench, research and info... yeah I have all that. but I've never been around a turbo car befor and I have no help. see most likely it would be going on my CRX and thats my daily driver and I guess I'm worried about not getting it done correctly. Welding.... I suck at. so if it involves welding (which I haven't read anything about welding) I not going to do it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
99'civic 4D
253 Posts
Just have some one else do welding for you it won't cost much. If you have michcanical skills you'll be ok.. Turbo is hell a better than all motor !!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Broke?

Turbo's not for you. Seriously, save yourself, it starts out cheap, and ends up a horrible money pit. Get married, it's more important, then you can always come back and turbo the bitch. :)

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
290 Posts
go for it man, i was like you and was scared to do stuff but you will never learn anything till you do it.

·
Registered
99'civic 4D
253 Posts
Turbo is an addiction once your there, you'll want more,more power and could never go back to almotor.....

·
cool title
1,698 Posts
if you got the money go for it, it's not that hard. i did mine about a month and a half after open heart surgery telling my friend who had no idea what he was doing what to do. just do your research. if you need welding done you can always cut and mark and then bring it some place to have them do the welding.

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Turbo is like a saltwater fish tank. When done correctly it doesn't have to cost that much and it'll be rediculous. But when rushed or done improperly you might as well just start flushing money down the toilet.

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
When I put my turbo on my CRX it took me a few weeks because I worked on it sporadicly. I would work on it one day for a few hours next day not at all and so forth. I had never installed a turbo before and after doing research I felt confident enough to do it. If you have general knowledge and have done your research you should be fine.

Reactions: MrHalder

·
Registered
901 Posts
Turbo is an addiction once your there, you'll want more,more power and could never go back to almotor.....
x2

wait until after your wedding. A) it's worthwhile to make the person you're marrying to be happy, which probably costs a lot. B) you're car will be there. and you can have more time to understand, piece together, and really have a good setup.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
a lot of it depends on where you can get the work done too. i had to do mine in my driveway and it sucked. no garage, no workbench, nothing...never had anything that i needed handy and got to the point where i was like fuck it. then a friend of mine towed the car to his personal garage and we finished it there in under a day.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I own a 91 CRX Si with 61,486 mile on it, and also a 96 Ex Coupe with 136,327 miles. I envy Ryan's car just a little....;)
You may envy Ryan, but I envy your Rex with only 60k. That's quite a few for being a 91 and rare to find...

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
I'm broke and still need to find something to do to my car.:(
story of my life right now...

i just found out that my buddie has a hook up on real riccarro raceing seats... $175 and you pick the color and the slidder's are included... guess what, it the slow time at work so im BROKE AS A JOKE right now... he also has a hook up with tsw wheels... shit allways happens like this...

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Not too hard, a couple friends and I had mine done in a weekend. I had someone weld up my oil pan and bov flange for me. I just bought an extra oil pan and gave him the intake pipe and pan to do so the car wouldn't have to be down any longer than it had to. If you are at all mechanically inclined, and have some friends to help, shouldn't be a prob at all for you.

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
x2

wait until after your wedding. A) it's worthwhile to make the person you're marrying to be happy, which probably costs a lot. B) you're car will be there. and you can have more time to understand, piece together, and really have a good setup.
see thats why I called it an addiction. Its temping when it just sits there.

Considering all the work you could find about rewiring some cables for the b18....
That part I'm not scared of. see I was thinking about swaping the B18 into the ex and putting the Y8 into my CRX. see so many options.... :(

You may envy Ryan, but I envy your Rex with only 60k. That's quite a few for being a 91 and rare to find...
It was all dented up and in a little fender bender and I fixed all the stuff.. I got lucky :p

Not too hard, a couple friends and I had mine done in a weekend. I had someone weld up my oil pan and bov flange for me. I just bought an extra oil pan and gave him the intake pipe and pan to do so the car wouldn't have to be down any longer than it had to. If you are at all mechanically inclined, and have some friends to help, shouldn't be a prob at all for you.
and all this is a good idea... but I've tried to run this buy my feince and she puts the big veto on the whole idea... thats why I was wondering the diffuclity of it. To see if I might be able to pull this off in a few days or so.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
288 Posts
well get married first, if nto shell never let you work on your car.

you know turboing you car is easy as long as you plan for it. walk out in your head every step youll need to do and see what parts youll be missing. my first install took me 2 days by myself. prepare to make some trips to autozone or homedepot. Tuning thats a whole different story. if you get a standalone like crome, uber,neptune, then you need to do all that and buy a wdeband blah blah blah and expect disaster if you dont know what your doing

best thing to do if your a noob i would suggest 450cc w/ apexi safc. it simple and effective. then later start working with a standalone. unless you know someone that can help you tune it right from the start.

also, i woud suggest to have a back up car

1 - 20 of 31 Posts