Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into turbos and have rebuilt several. I have yet to rebuild a K04 and found one at a decent price the other day and picked it up. They are pretty compact little turbos and since Borg Warner is the most OEM used turbo I figured at $50 I could not go wrong. I have yet to get it in the mail but should soon. It is off the MazdaSpeed 3 and is also used on the MazdaSpeed 6 and CX-7.

To me this looks like a great daily turbo. On the MS3 they hit full spool by 3k and I have seen dyno's with bolt ons strictly put down 280whp. I do realize that they are 2.3 liters and know this will hurt spool somewhat. Still I think it would be a worthwhile venture.

Also this is very similar turbo to what is used on the Solstice GXP and they can clear 300whp and will spool instantly just like MS3. They also run a smaller displacement of 2.0 liter and they hit full boost around 2600 RPM's. The major differences is that the Solstice turbo is basically a Borg Warner EFR (really it is) and the MS3 is a plain version wihout the boost control and internal bypass.

They also are extremely cheap to rebuild and find parts for and come with a 360 kit. They can be upgraded with larger compressors and are pretty plentiful. WHat do you guys think? Worthwhile to try???

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Iknow this doesnt help you much but i had read a build on here where someone was going to use one. The only think i remember tho is that the turbo wouldnt output in the higher rpms. Also that turbo has a funny flange.

but Good luck with the build if your use it

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
the most expensive part of the build will be flanges and making a manifold, could always do a t3 to k04 adapter

a ton of VW guys also use it as an upgrade to the k03 since it bolts up

the turbo should make an amazing DD turbo and I never though of it but now I want it on my GSR sooooooo bad a b18c with low end tw due to boost and high end power would be so fun

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it would fall off that bad. It flows more then a T3 50 trim (not T3T4 50 trim). I have seen two different ratings at 28lb min and another that quotes 36 lb min and that is more then GT2560R. I can fab so the matching up issue is not that big of deal. I am just wondering how well it would match up.

On the MS3 they fall off at 6K as well as on the Solstice. I am figuring with the slightly less displacement that it would hold stronger till 7K and my redline is set for 8k. If not I can always clip the bitch and they make larger compressor for upgrading up to 40 lb min which can roughly make 400hp.

I am going to do more investigating but I may just roll it and get some real world numbers. Who knowes may be a perfect match....

·
Registered
751 Posts
My friend's MS3's power tapers down around 6,000 rpm with the K04, I'd like to see what it does on a D. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Look up how much the ms3 head flows at 6k and how much the d flows at 7200 is they are close enjoy a sick turbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts