Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a zc dohc head on d16 sohc block? I saw a post in ezboard but there were no details on how it was done. One guy told me that it needed $1500 of machine work done on the block to match oil and water passages. I don't think that is correct because I personally checked and matched the head gaskets from a d16 and a zc and only one hole did not match. Someone please let me know more detail. I would really appreciate it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
as far as i know, you can not match a DOHC head with a SOHC block. im not super smart at this shit, but thats what i have heard, and im 99% sure its true. theres always that 1% tho :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on a similar subject - you can mate a DOHC D16a1 head to a bored .040 over with d16 piston D15a3 block, i know a guy who is doing it :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really! Then it should be the same for my block. The d16a1 and zc head are the same in head structure and the d15 and d16 block are the same. Can I get info on what he has to do to mate it? It would help me out alot!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nivek2002 said:
on a similar subject - you can mate a DOHC D16a1 head to a bored .040 over with d16 piston D15a3 block, i know a guy who is doing it :D
:p :p :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am positive you can do this.

There is a guy running around here and thought he had a ZC engine. He is new to the Honda scene so did not know. The block is a ZC but the head is only SOHC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WILD_EYE said:
Has anyone put a zc dohc head on d16 sohc block? I saw a post in ezboard but there were no details on how it was done. One guy told me that it needed $1500 of machine work done on the block to match oil and water passages. I don't think that is correct because I personally checked and matched the head gaskets from a d16 and a zc and only one hole did not match. Someone please let me know more detail. I would really appreciate it.
Yea as far as i know you can't do this without alot of work but with the right amount of money you can work anything

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nivek2002 said:
The bore on the two engines is the same, I have always heard that the head is very different on a zc than a sohc though... Never heard of anyone that has succesfully mated the two...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yo gtpilot! First I have to give you many props for sharing in great detail the info of your project, so again THANK YOU! I have been asking around for a couple of weeks now about putting a zc dohc head on my d16y7 and 98% of the replies was that it can not be done. And if it could, it would take too much $$$ in work on the block to get it done. The BIG question is.............. would you happen to know if it would be the same for my d16y7 block? I ask becauase on my d16 cylinder head the oil cap is located on the upper right hand side of the valve cover and in the d16a1 it is on the upper left hand side. This makes me belive that on my d16y7 it actually can not be done if the oil passage to the pan is under the oil cap. Any help is appreciated!

· Registered
233 Posts
There is a guy running around here and thought he had a ZC engine. He is new to the Honda scene so did not know. The block is a ZC but the head is only SOHC.
Umm just to let you guys know, there is a SOHC ZC, they put it in the 88-91 CRX SI (JDM of course) among other things, its also got a dual carb setup. My buddy is currently running his with a SI intake manifold and FI, Ill be running one sometime next week...

Stock JDM SOHC ZC--118hp 100f/lbs torque

Its got a little more aggressive cam and higher compression pistons, but I am still lookin for more differences...

· Registered
2003 S2000
291 Posts
RedCRX90 said:
Umm just to let you guys know, there is a SOHC ZC, they put it in the 88-91 CRX SI (JDM of course) among other things, its also got a dual carb setup. My buddy is currently running his with a SI intake manifold and FI, Ill be running one sometime next week...

Stock JDM SOHC ZC--118hp 100f/lbs torque

Its got a little more aggressive cam and higher compression pistons, but I am still lookin for more differences...
That's interesting... because when I took apart my SOHC ZC that is sitting in my CRX, yes a real SOHC ZC with the ZC stamp, and not just some poser block that I decided to call a "ZC" like a lot of guys out there- it had PM6 pistons in it. As far as I'm concerned, the short blocks between the SOHC ZC and the D16A6 are identical, and the heads are most likely the same too. The SOHC ZC is also not carbureted- it's fuel injected just like its D16A6 twin.

Here's your proof on the pistons (click for clearer monster size):

· Registered
119 Posts
The DOHC head will go onto the 88+ SOHC block, but you've gotta "drag" one of the head bolt/stud mounting holes over in the DOHC head. The cheapest way to verify what I'm talking about is to get ahold of a D16A1 head gasket and any 88+ SOHC D head gasket. You'll see what I'm talking about.

· Registered
233 Posts
The SOHC ZC is also not carbureted- it's fuel injected just like its D16A6 twin.
Soo when you pulled your engine off the shipping pallette it had the fuel injected manifold on it? Because I have unpacked two of the bad boys now and had to pull dual carb setups off of each... when you drop it in, you just bolt up the FI manifold...

Now with that said we move on...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just for future ref.
All D series blocks will interchange with all D series parts.

Am I wrong??? Correct me if I am... Im almost 100% sure im right... :wink:

· Registered
2003 S2000
291 Posts
RedCRX90 said:
The SOHC ZC is also not carbureted- it's fuel injected just like its D16A6 twin.
Soo when you pulled your engine off the shipping pallette it had the fuel injected manifold on it? Because I have unpacked two of the bad boys now and had to pull dual carb setups off of each... when you drop it in, you just bolt up the FI manifold...

Now with that said we move on...
:p

No clue... I think I read your post wrong, oh well. The SOHC ZC that I have is a cobbled together piece of junk that was in my CRX when I bought it.

:evil:

· Registered
119 Posts
Not 100% true Mike, maybe 80-90% true. Some stuff just will not bolt up. The D family isn't as standardized as the B family. You've gotta be more of a fabrication artist with D-series to swap a lot of parts that just weren't meant to be...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Being that my car is a 1996 civic should I be looking for a 2 gen dohc zc head? Will that make the swap easier in terms of the distributor. I ask becasue a guy I know is selling a 1 gen zc head without distributor. Would my distributor fit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WILD_EYE said:
Being that my car is a 1996 civic should I be looking for a 2 gen dohc zc head? Will that make the swap easier in terms of the distributor. I ask becasue a guy I know is selling a 1 gen zc head without distributor. Would my distributor fit?
VERY good question. I had a ZC and loved it. Now i just bought a 91 Si HB and have a y7. I would love to see if this head would actually fit. If so, we have a complete D16a1 head sitting around at work, and i could get it for almsot free. Keep the info comming. :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.