Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here honed a block before? is it hard to do? any suggestions? I know I can take it to a machine shop, but I'd like to learn how to do it. Thanks!

-Anthony

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Honestly if your just doing 1 block it's probebly cheaper to have a machine shop do it by the time you buy a hone. It's not hard to do though, you just need a hone, honeing oil, and a drill. Look at the manual for how it's supposed to look, it's just easier to look at it than to describe it.

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
take and run your finger nail up the cylinder walls, if you feel a ridge near the top, you need to get a ridge reamer as well, prolly better off taking block to a machine shop to be safe though...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
looks like a cylinder hone to me...lol jk You can get different grit stones for them as well. Can you still see the factory hone crosshatching on your cylinder walls? If not, you may want to think about a slight overbore.... or at least having them measured to see if they are still in spec, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like a cylinder hone to me...lol jk You can get different grit stones for them as well. Can you still see the factory hone crosshatching on your cylinder walls? If not, you may want to think about a slight overbore.... or at least having them measured to see if they are still in spec, just my 2 cents
yes the factory crosshatching is still visible. i am still going to measure them. is there a certain grit i would want to use when honing?

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
that is something that would be in the service manual, or your local machine shop/engine rebuild shop could answer for you. I just mentioned the different grits to make you aware so you wouldn't just plunge the hone in there without checking first :TU:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is something that would be in the service manual, or your local machine shop/engine rebuild shop could answer for you. I just mentioned the different grits to make you aware so you wouldn't just plunge the hone in there without checking first :TU:

okay thanks for the help and info..i appreciate it!

·
Registered
438 Posts
i'm prolly gonna use a ball hone for a light clean up. i just have to fine one that small first. anyone know where to get one?

not trying to thread jack just letting you know of another option.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm prolly gonna use a ball hone for a light clean up. i just have to fine one that small first. anyone know where to get one?

not trying to thread jack just letting you know of another option.

no worries :TU:

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
is the tool i linked used for deglazing?
I was going to hone my block myself, but ended up going 20 over. But during my research, I figured that a ball-hone is the best way to go for deglazing and getting a good surface from which to break in new rings. Something like this...

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
Check with your local parts stores too. I know places like Auto Zone rent speciality tools like cylinder hones. It's pretty simple, go slow, move back and fourth just enough to knock the glaze off the walls and leave a nice crosshatch

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
i just went through this whole thing with my a6 block. Take it to a machine shop, they will do it right and probibally cheap too. It was only 35$ for them to do it with the proper machine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i found my ball hone and surprisingly it looks to be about the right diameter.

before and after pics tonight/tomorrow.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
i found my ball hone and surprisingly it looks to be about the right diameter.

before and after pics tonight/tomorrow.
You want it to be a tad bigger than your bore...so like for a 75mm bore a 76 mm ball hone would be perfect!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ok here is what the ball hone looks like so guys get an idea. i can't remember where i got it from so sorry for not being much help.

This is it partially installed.

Kinda blurry but a before shot of the cylinder.

A little too fast on the up and down motion... 90* cross hatch pattern... not good.

Slowed it down... all better.

Notes: I thoroughly soaked the hone and cylinder with WD-40 beforehand and had a co-worker continually spray into the cylinder while honing.

Attached the hone to my cordless screwdriver and only let it run about 5-8 seconds. Make sure to clean all residue from block surfaces.

Just for kicks.. shot of my 200k mile block after 20 minutes in the parts washer.. woo hoo!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts