Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this is my first post on here. im a regular on hondatech. and have some question that apparently they cant answer. so i thought i would try here. here is one of my posts there...

i have a d16z6 block with a d16y8 head on it. im concerned it is causing me problems. it runs good but im getting headlift from it. thinking its something to do with the y8 heads timing. because i have a brand new oem headgasket and arp studs torqued to 65 lbs. and the head is not warped.

okay now.. i know the d16y8 engines stock timing is 12 degrees btdc and pretty much the rest of honda engines are 16 degrees btdc. i also know that the woodruff keyway on the y8 cam gear is offset a few degrees when compared to the z6 cam gear.

i set my timing to 16 degrees btdc with a z6block/y8 head and p28 ecu. is this right? is it bad? could it be causing my problems? why is it that the cam timing is slightly different between the z6 and y8?

on my last setup... i put a y8 head on a d15b7 block and within 2 minutes of driving it, the rod snapped in half. probably from oil starvation caused probably by timing?? see where im getting at?

i have plenty of experience with headlifting, etc. whatever causes the coolant to overflow from the resevoir so i know im doing it everything to fix that. ie. checked head and block, oem hg, arp studs, etc. so why is it right after i got everything put together with the z6 block and y8 head im running now. the coolant starts overflowing. i have checked everything and i know its doing it because compression is getting into the coolant passages. i just have a bad feeling this head doesnt belong on a z6 block with a p28 ecu. ive never even heard of someone using a y8 head on a z6 block. no one from here is chiming in either. guess ill have to take a huge loss (head has already been rebuilt) and find a z6 head.

thanks for any help guys.

B

·
0 Posts
Hmmm. That is an interesting combo, but I can't see why it wouldnt work. Bump for some info on the Y8/Z6 hybrid.

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is like some groundbreaking shit im doing or something. i know there aer a couple people in the world that ahve done this but i believe they are n/a. im boosted and that makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just dont want it to blow up again. the reason i have the z6 block is because my b7 has a huge hole in it now and the reason i have a y8 head is because i got it form a friend for $50.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was considering doing this head swap when I was gonna stay N/A, and all of the asking around and reading I did, I never heard any discrepancies or problems with it.

Which timing belt are you using?

I assume you have tried it at 12* btdc right?

·
0 Posts
i have the exact same setup. d16z6 bottom end with a d16y8 head. How do you know your head is lifting? If you have ARP head studs it should not lift at all (i also have ARP head studs). Im confused on what you are askin? Your asking about timing? Or why the head is lifting?

·
Registered
741 Posts
My question is, are you actually using an adjustable cam gear or just the stock oem cam gear that comes with what ever head you get? If you are just using the standard cam gear that is non-adjustable, there is your problem. Frankly, every mini-me DIY should always post a need for an adjustable cam gear...just my 2cents and drunken ideas (god I love 99cent 24oz cans of beer)

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Synth said:
My question is, are you actually using an adjustable cam gear or just the stock oem cam gear that comes with what ever head you get? If you are just using the standard cam gear that is non-adjustable, there is your problem. Frankly, every mini-me DIY should always post a need for an adjustable cam gear...just my 2cents and drunken ideas (god I love 99cent 24oz cans of beer)

no im using a aem cam gear and it is set to zero like stock. this is not a mini-me so i dont know what youre talking about.

my head is lifting because compression is getting into my coolant passages and causing my resevoir to overflow. its a brand new headgasket and arp studs and the head isnt warped. i know timing can cause headlift. i also know the timing is all wierd on a y8. im using a z6 block and p28 ecu. so im trying to figure out whats wrong.

·
Registered
741 Posts
that's what I'm trying to get at..yeah I miss understood what you were writing. None the less, different head and block means funny timing usually....especially when you are dealing with a hybrid that you are dealing with. Just a semi-educated guess... Best of luck

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
I see that you said the head is fine. but what about the block? are you sure it was nice and flat? you could have gotten a bad block and the block isn't even with the head allowing a space for air to get in and lift the head. a z6 block is virtually identical to a y8 block, in fact I believe they may be exactly the same.

·
Registered
741 Posts
gftgrill said:
I see that you said the head is fine. but what about the block? are you sure it was nice and flat? you could have gotten a bad block and the block isn't even with the head allowing a space for air to get in and lift the head. a z6 block is virtually identical to a y8 block, in fact I believe they may be exactly the same.

Deck height, sprocket on the crank for the timing belt, are they both the same?? I haven't looked into Y8's much at all...so I'm just throwing out ideas.

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
the blocks should be exactly the same. the differences lies in the heads. although I get confused with the whole timing difference, but I believe that to be in the cam itself.

I was saying that if the deck of the block you got was warped alittle, then it would cause the same problem as if the head was warped. Did you check to make sure that they were both perfectly straight?

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
gftgrill said:
the blocks should be exactly the same. the differences lies in the heads. although I get confused with the whole timing difference, but I believe that to be in the cam itself.

I was saying that if the deck of the block you got was warped alittle, then it would cause the same problem as if the head was warped. Did you check to make sure that they were both perfectly straight?
only difference between the y8 an z6 blocks that I know of, is the oil dip stick tube location

·
Registered
93 civic hatch
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gftgrill said:

going to check that right now. im about to put it all back together tonight because my headgasket came in today.

but one thing i forgot to mention was that when i took the head off a couple of the arp head stud nuts were not very tight at all.. i know i torqued them twice to 65 lbs. in a 4 step fashion. and its only been a few miles since i torqued them down. hmmm i hope this was the problem, but if it is, i dont see how they got loose like that.

·
6,710 Posts
did you tighten the studs very much when you put them in the block? I used an alan wrench to snug them in nicely, just to be sure, and I've never had a problem

Are you using the correct studs? the z6 and y8 studs are different

·
ridin on rotas
1,980 Posts
VIcs90si said:
what about a d16a dohc head on to a sohc zc block can that be done???
I've never heard of a d16a dohc, I thought the only dohc D was the dohc zc?

and I don't think that the dohc zc head will go on the sohc zc head.

·
6,710 Posts
VIcs90si said:
what about a d16a dohc head on to a sohc zc block can that be done???
..TAKE THAT QUESTION, SQUISH IT UP INTO A TIGHT WAD, AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS.

wrong forum, and do some fucking searches

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.