Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching to find a good after market crank balancer for the D-series engine.Nothing found except the fluid damper for the B-series.Now i asked Endyn for a good solution and he said this :

"There were never the 25 D series owners we needed to have an aftermarket balancer produced for the engine, so the best you can do is run a brand new balancer from a 92-95 Civic Si and your engine will be happy. Don't buy a used one that has old (hard) rubber in it."

I think we all can use this ,maybe if there are 25 people who want a Good after market Fluid damper Endyn can make them?Or isn't anybody interested in this....?
To start with i'm signing myself up the list

-HondaNickx 1x Fluid damper

·
CR-Vtakin
your mom
11,459 Posts
i would be intrested, but only if it is for alternator only. i.e. a ctr style standard drive damper. that would be f*in' pimp status.
thats what i am talking about since my hatch does not have power steering or a/c. that would kick ass.

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i am talking about since my hatch does not have power steering or a/c. that would kick ass.
That's what i wanted 2 hehe :p .And this is for every D-series lover a great product,doesn't matter if you're N/A or boosted .From the moment your engine isn't stock anymore the oem balancer isn't correctly in balance anymore.

·
Registered
Civic
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In for price estimate...x3 on single rib style damper.

http://www.theoldone.com/components/fluidampr/
The b-series design sells at endyn for 348$ i would think a d-series design would be similar in price.Maybe a little cheaper ...?I don't wanna bother Larry with price questions if there are only like 10 people interested.If we can get 25 people who are interested i def ask Larry if he wants to make them! ;)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
That's what i wanted 2 hehe :p .And this is for every D-series lover a great product,doesn't matter if you're N/A or boosted .From the moment your engine isn't stock anymore the oem balancer isn't correctly in balance anymore.
In for price estimate...x3 on single rib style damper.
i only threw that out there, cause some might want a full version with all three on there. like they was in texas (or the like), i could see them wanting the full version so to run a/c at the very least.

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
i would get a new damper, but it would have to have at least two ribs on it, one for the alternator, and one for power steering...i'm probably getting rid of the ac, so that would not be to much of a concern, but 350 bucks? i'll probably pass for that price, and just use the stock one i have...

·
Registered
166 Posts
i know it's late... make that 22... btw.. d-series guys are cheap.. but they should still make it for the heck of it... gotta start somewhere right..

·
Registered
537 Posts
We've had custom pulleys made for us for the H and the D by ATI. the price range is in the $500s for a one off pulley. It can and has been made before. Its just if you guys are willing to pay the amount.

I dont deal with Fluidampner, but I can get the ATI done. if its in that qty range, I'm sure it will be around the high $300s to low 400s.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
I spoke to fluidampr on the phone about this, and they told me their minimum run was 500 units if I remember correctly. Price would be around $350.

I'm thinking its more feasible for someone to find a way to machine some weight off stock dampened ones... the weight savings wont be so significant, but the money saved would.

There is already a guy on HT who will remove PS and AC belt tracks from them on a lathe, but I'd be willing to pay for just a pound or two off mine without getting rid of the AC belt.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well you could always try to hit up Performance Products and see if they'll develop one for D. They make much more affordable aftermarket versions than ATI or Fluidampr.

Their single rib version for B-series is only $150
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRO-DAMPER-SFI-Honda-B16-Acura-GSR-Type-R-Race-RP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33616QQihZ015QQitemZ250215510403QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Their stock style 3-rib version is only $65, perhaps if they could adapt something for D-series it could be under $200?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
The unit I saw pics of from Larry, you could add whichever extra pulley you wanted.

Something about a supercharger design I was working on :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
god damn it.. to be honest guys, i could care less about the weight... in fact i want it to weight more actually like 5lbs more. more weight add more mass and there for stop vibration. think about it.. if you have TT rods which adds more weight, you would need a heavy pulley. there is a reason why theres a rubber piece on my pulley and i'm sure they don't pay those guys 100,000 a years to sit around and do nothing.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
god damn it.. to be honest guys, i could care less about the weight... in fact i want it to weight more actually like 5lbs more. more weight add more mass and there for stop vibration. think about it.. if you have TT rods which adds more weight, you would need a heavy pulley. there is a reason why theres a rubber piece on my pulley and i'm sure they don't pay those guys 100,000 a years to sit around and do nothing.
More mass does not necessarily equate to better damping. Harmonic dampers are "tuned" to cancel specific oscillations, and its mass affects the the frequencies that are damped. If any arbitrary amount of mass was added to the pulley, it might not be as effective.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts