Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So, a little back story. My d16y7 starting making this horrible rattling noise not too long ago while in drive and reverse only. It would go away with acceleration, and/or after the car reached temp. Inspection of the engine bay led me to believe it was coming from beneath the intake. I've bought a new PCV valve (may be irrelevant, but it's overdue anyway so I figured why not) and will be installing it this weekend.
However, the rattling has slowly gotten worse. It now does it in all gears (the hatch is an automatic, if needed) and it feels like it has a pretty strong miss at idle.

I did some more inspecting/digging and noticed my harmonic balancer is severely chipped in two or three places. I have no idea how, since the oil pan and all other surfaces are untouched.

So my question is, could this cause the shaking which would in turn cause the rattle? I have two OBD2 SOHC ZC motors that aren't being used.. Does anyone know off hand if one of these harmonic balancers would swap over? I wouldn't really mind that much if I lost A/C, but of course the weight would need to be the comparable.

I also have a running D16Y8 in one of my HF's that I'd prefer not to touch, but could use the balancer off that until I order a new one. The hatch is my daily, so I'm trying to find the quickest way to get this repaired. The HF with the Y8 on the other hand is in my shop not moving until I get around to ordering some shifter bushings.

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Crank pulley?
Yes it's called a harmonic balancer.

I would definitely try to find one in good condition, make sure yours comes from a d16y7 or d16y8 because the timing marks are different compared to earlier years. Also inspect your engine mounts.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,920 Posts
^^ crazy, even my a6 one with no rubber in it?
also honda lists it as a crank shaft pulley for all civics. I under stand it has the harmonic ballancer effect but thats not the main pupose of it. Its a pulley and then as an added rubber to make it also reduced vibrations. But old civics never had any rubber in them so they wouldnt also have that effect.

Lol im just board at work and a crank pulley sounds better to me lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it's called a harmonic balancer.

I would definitely try to find one in good condition, make sure yours comes from a d16y7 or d16y8 because the timing marks are different compared to earlier years. Also inspect your engine mounts.
Awesome. So the SOHC ZC (d16a6) balancer would not work?

Also, you mentioned timing marks. On both my ZC and my y7, the timing mark for the crank is located on the actual timing gear sprocket and not at all on the balancer/pulley. Is this different on other options? Or did I miss something on the balancer all together?

I do have a slight problem with one of my mounts. I'll definitely look into getting that repaired asap as well, though it's a puzzle in itself. I completely forgot all about that when this problem came up.

Thank you!

·
Registered
99 Posts
make sure yours comes from a d16y7 or d16y8 because the timing marks are different compared to earlier years.
The marks might denote different values from year to year but that doesn't matter because ultimately the marks are in relation to a circle, and literally every circle in the history of forever has 360 degrees. Just know what each mark represents. Case in point: I have a D16Y8 crank pulley on my D15B7 block/crank because it has a harmonic balancer whereas the stock D15 pulley does not. Use whatever you want, just have a way to be able to set and check timing.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Awesome. So the SOHC ZC (d16a6) balancer would not work?

Also, you mentioned timing marks. On both my ZC and my y7, the timing mark for the crank is located on the actual timing gear sprocket and not at all on the balancer/pulley. Is this different on other options? Or did I miss something on the balancer all together?

I do have a slight problem with one of my mounts. I'll definitely look into getting that repaired asap as well, though it's a puzzle in itself. I completely forgot all about that when this problem came up.

Thank you!
It will work fine, I'm unaware whether or not the d16a6 pulley has a harmonic balancer. Also as mentioned the timing marks may not be the same.

What you're referring to is the TDC mark on the timing gear. There is one on the crank pulley and 3 other marks that are used to set the ignition timing. The marks are different between engines due to differences in base ignition timing.

The marks might denote different values from year to year but that doesn't matter because ultimately the marks are in relation to a circle, and literally every circle in the history of forever has 360 degrees. Just know what each mark represents. Case in point: I have a D16Y8 crank pulley on my D15B7 block/crank because it has a harmonic balancer whereas the stock D15 pulley does not. Use whatever you want, just have a way to be able to set and check timing.
How many people do you know that have a protractor, know what a protractor even is or would think to use one to figure out where the timing marks are marked on a pulley?

·
Registered
99 Posts
How many people do you know that have a protractor, know what a protractor even is or would think to use one to figure out where the timing marks are marked on a pulley?
Alternatively you could just pull up google and type something like "timing marks d16y8" or whatever engine code the given pulley came from. I mean, that's what I would have done... :scooter:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will work fine, I'm unaware whether or not the d16a6 pulley has a harmonic balancer. Also as mentioned the timing marks may not be the same.

What you're referring to is the TDC mark on the timing gear. There is one on the crank pulley and 3 other marks that are used to set the ignition timing. The marks are different between engines due to differences in base ignition timing.
Gotcha. You're awesome. Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know your question was about harmonic balancer compatibility, but i don't think it's going to fix your rattle.
I was hoping it would be something as simple as the damaged balancer/pulley throwing things off balance, but the engine mount being brought up was an excellent point that completely slipped my mind. I know the bottom mount located in front of the crank pulley is bad. I would have to pull that to pull the balancer/pulley anyway. That could have something to do with it.

I know I gave a very vague description, but do you have any ideas or suggestions that I should double check while I'm in there?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,308 Posts
rattle could be a number of things: exhaust, heat shield, loose mounts, loose bolts, broken parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.