Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 CRX DX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 CRX dx
I have a weird vibration at interstate speeds (65+mph)
When I first get on the interstate my front end and steering wheel vibrate like hell, I just had an alignment so the wheel is straight. I don't think it's a caliper sticking as the car isn't pulling in either direction. My wheels and suspension are torqued correctly.

However after a few miles, the vibration dies down and it's fine. Speeds under 60mph are fine. Wheels were balanced before I got them.

Any ideas what would cause the vibration?

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
If it vibrates at certain speeds the clears up it could be a alignment issue. Worn parts bad bushings etc. I know the wheel is straight but that doesn't mean anything. May need to go through and replace stuff.

·
Registered
91 CRX DX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ball joints and tie rods shoulda been checked before the alignment.

How are all the motor/trans mounts?

Firestone didn't tell me if the ball joints or tie rods were bad, I figured they would to try and get more money out of me.

Motor mounts are a little over a year old OEM replacements

·
Registered
91 CRX DX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it vibrates at certain speeds the clears up it could be a alignment issue. Worn parts bad bushings etc. I know the wheel is straight but that doesn't mean anything. May need to go through and replace stuff.

That's a good point, but what I don't understand is why the vibration goes away after a few minutes regardless of speed.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Any alignment tech that has his head out of his ass will.check the suspension out....at least the ball joints and tie rods etc...

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
If suspension was checked and good before alignment i would check the axles.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If suspension was checked and good before alignment i would check the axles.
He is on the right track. I have had reman axles give me weird vibration issues. Accord/Tsx have a known axle cracking issue that causes a vibration.

·
Registered
91 CRX DX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any alignment tech that has his head out of his ass will.check the suspension out....at least the ball joints and tie rods etc...

Yeah because they told me my tires were on the low side of their tread so they were checking the car over.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Also check the rubber "disk" on the axle. Im not 100% sure what its called but you shpould know the one I mean. Make sure its there, intact, ect lol

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I have seen cheap aftermarket axles do this. I started to notice it when cars were on the dyno and I could see the axles moving around like fucking crazy!! Then they balance out and center up....

·
Registered
91 CRX DX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen cheap aftermarket axles do this. I started to notice it when cars were on the dyno and I could see the axles moving around like fucking crazy!! Then they balance out and center up....

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the driver side axle, the vibration feels more so from that side, and I've had the axle since I bought the car, 2.5 years ago

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
The best thing you can do is jack up the car, get it on some jack stands, and start shaking and pulling on shit until you find something that moves.

Start with the wheels, in and out, back and forth, up and down, side to side, etc... then check all the suspension parts. Even use a rubber hammer or pry bar to see if still moves a surprisingly large amount, or makes weird noises.

·
Registered
91 CRX DX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I figured out my problem
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412716495.427051.jpg
Factory radius rod hardware
Notice the cup washer near the front
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1412716528.736203.jpg
My driver side cup washer and nut
My passenger side is flipped the other way.

Damn alignment tech messed up and 23 year old bushings didn't help

·
Registered
91 CRX DX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm still stumped, the cup washer got rid of the thump, but my front end vibration is still there. I rotated my wheels to see if it helped, and it didn't, my money is now on tie rods, I have play at 3 and 9 on the wheel but not 12 and 6, also my car "follows" imperfections in the road.
Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts