Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there, I just bought a 95 civic coupe with a d16z6 turbo, makes about 300whp, Everytime I shift at high rpm (not powershift) from 2nd into 3rd, it is very hard and I'd have to left off a little bit and delay shifting (shifting slow). This is only a problem with 3rd gear, clutch grabs perfect (stage 3 clutch with 5k miles) no slip. CMC feels good, clutch engagements are precise and good, driving normal under 6000 rpm shifts butter smooth for all gears. Just 3rd gear is really hard to get into in high rpm shift, but does not grind. No gears grind, except reverse when reversing from a stop, I'd have to put it in first, pull up a little then go into reverse and its fine. but third gear at high rpm is what I need to know the solution to.

so what seems to be the problem? I've encountered this in a b-series before too but never really sought out the answer to it.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
Driver error...
worn shift fork from driver error...
broken shift fork from driver error...
worn 3-4 slider...see above.

D's are much easier on parts than B's, but changing your shift timing (left foot/right hand) might help.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,292 Posts
Bone knows all! ^^
I learned by having to fix all my screw ups, I broke my share of forks as well.

Now I can no lift shift with ease, just took some training.

Last IFO I was at a driver complained his B series tranny kept blocking him out of every gear while on the track, tried to say the track was causing it. Rode with him in the back lot, still blocked his shifts. Now it was a worn tranny with sloppy shifter bushings.....

1-2 and 2-3 flat shifts with no grinds and then informed him would be about $500 in parts + labor if he continued to abuse the tranny.

Exploded the spider gears after some wheel hop on the street, he parted the car out.

mugen, sloppy shifter can also cause the shift issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driver error...
worn shift fork from driver error...
broken shift fork from driver error...
worn 3-4 slider...see above.

D's are much easier on parts than B's, but changing your shift timing (left foot/right hand) might help.
I'm a pretty good and safe driver and don't abuse my car. I just bought this from another guy. and I can tell you, I do not error. 3rd is just hard to shift into in high rpm, can you tell me from your experience another reason why it is doing this? i am trying to fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I learned by having to fix all my screw ups, I broke my share of forks as well.

Now I can no lift shift with ease, just took some training.

Last IFO I was at a driver complained his B series tranny kept blocking him out of every gear while on the track, tried to say the track was causing it. Rode with him in the back lot, still blocked his shifts. Now it was a worn tranny with sloppy shifter bushings.....

1-2 and 2-3 flat shifts with no grinds and then informed him would be about $500 in parts + labor if he continued to abuse the tranny.

Exploded the spider gears after some wheel hop on the street, he parted the car out.

mugen, sloppy shifter can also cause the shift issues.
I do not powershift. I never do. I just fast shift. always lifting off the gas before i shift.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
^ Was just gunna ask if he checked the shift linkage for bushing issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts