Honda D Series Forum banner

HARD down shifts "thud"

910 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Aquafina 
#1 ·
I have a CTR tranny in my ek coupe. I installed the tranny maybe 5000 miles ago and its been great until recently. Now when normal everyday driving (not agressive) like slowing to turn while downshifting its like i just dump the clutch no matter how easy i let out on the clutch. The only way around it is by rev matching on the downshift. Also I have a deep rattling sound at idle that will go away when I push in the clutch.... I'm assuming its the throw out bearing. Like a fool, I reused the old one. it only had ~5000 miles on it as well. Could it also be "hanging" or binding on the input shaft and causing the sudden engagement of the clutch? Or is this a sign of a deeper issue?

#10 ·
I filled the oem mounts with window weld when I put the ctr tranny in. I've been driving the car for a couple months now with no problems. Its just started all of the sudden. I looked at the sticky about replacing the isb..... I'm nervous lol. What else do I need to look for while this thing is apart? What would be involved if I wanted to swap in a ls 5th gear while its apart?

#11 ·
replace the ISB seal as well

and any other parts that show excessive wear.

its usually a good idea to disassemble the shafts and clear them out with compressed air and brake clean. or any other way you can manage to get the debris out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.