Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Last Saturday night i got some beers and changed out my front passenger side wheel bearing using this:

FWD Front Wheel Bearing Adapters

There are multiple DIYs of how to use it and change the wheel bearing available for our cars so i will not be getting into too much detail. The use of the tool is pretty straight forward and everything seems to be high quality. I took the knuckle off of my vehicle and after pounding out the hub, used this tool to press the old bearing out and the new bearing in using an impact(people do it with wrenches/breaker bars as well). The only thing that i recommend is lubing the big bolt with some kind of grease because it gets alot of force put on it. The job took me about 3 hours including tear down and reassembly. I would recommend this tool to anyone looking to save some money when they need a wheel bearing. I rate this 10/10 because of ease of use and price.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you used a slide hammer to pull out the hub you would not have to remove the knuckle to use that tool.
i saw that some people did it without removing the knuckle but they didnt say how they got the axle shaft out of the way. Thats why i ended up just taking out the knuckle.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
A press is the way to go if you can buy one.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
I love this tool, however I use it with my HF 20ton? press, instead of the bolt thingy.
that press is a life saver. its also entertaining to watch it in use. we found anything we could that would give slight cover and biggie stood next to it lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
i saw that some people did it without removing the knuckle but they didnt say how they got the axle shaft out of the way. Thats why i ended up just taking out the knuckle.
Ha ha... never thought about that... I guess you could get away with just removing the lower ball joint and strut. As the others have said, the big press is the way to go anyway. I bought one for $150 or something like that on sale last spring to do a wheel bearing. Worked great, just needed to run out and buy a big assed socket to have something to hold the spindle up while pressing the bearing in.

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Paint it then.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
While all this is good info and all...sometimes if rather just pay the smaller amount then the cost of these tools and pay a shop to quickly press it out for me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While all this is good info and all...sometimes if rather just pay the smaller amount then the cost of these tools and pay a shop to quickly press it out for me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
thats also an option as well that ive seen/heard of a lot of people do. Probably doesnt cost as much as one of these tools. The good thing is, i will always have this tool for the future and since i have 3 cars it will definitely pay itself off.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The good thing is, i will always have this tool for the future and since i have 3 cars it will definitely pay itself off.
Ideally, what you need is a circle of friends that are car guys who can use each other's tools. One guy has a press, another has a engine crane, ect. Most people do not have the space to store ALL of the goodies. Plus like you guys said it often does not make sense to own a bigger more expensive tool you will hardly ever use.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ideally, what you need is a circle of friends that are car guys who can use each other's tools. One guy has a press, another has a engine crane, ect. Most people do not have the space to store ALL of the goodies. Plus like you guys said it often does not make sense to own a bigger more expensive tool you will hardly ever use.
if the world were perfect lol.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
if the world were perfect lol.
lol, you don't have many car friends? hell I have 3 that have access to a crane, 2 that have access to a press, 2 that have access to an engine stand and Im sure if I bought the beer, theyd come and help tool on the car lol. shit, for the wheel bearings, I think we bought them pizza lol

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
I'm the shop guy in the family. I have the crane and compressor but my brother has the air tools.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, you don't have many car friends? hell I have 3 that have access to a crane, 2 that have access to a press, 2 that have access to an engine stand and Im sure if I bought the beer, theyd come and help tool on the car lol. shit, for the wheel bearings, I think we bought them pizza lol
i have one car friend but he lives about 5 hours away. my buddys dad whos impact gun i used is a car guy but hes about an hour away. i live in the middle of nowhere. I have a three car garage and all the space for the tools which is why ive decided to start buying them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts