Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a free press a while ago, went to use it the other day and the legs where the pins go through to hold the height adjustment for the press are nearly blown out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/15n61lqe60xmqow/HorborFreightPress.PNG?dl=0
I ran it through solidworks, harbor freight is trying to kill you.
12 ton H-Frame Industrial Heavy Duty Floor Shop Press
It came with a 20 ton jack, but judging by the website I think it was originally a 12 ton press. either way be careful with shit from Harbor Freight.

It was free, but now I am going to be spending time and money on rebuilding the legs. Probably about $80, plus my time.
I'm just glad I saw it before it failed catastrophically.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
no idea what Im looking at

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
I have about the same one, Mine came from one the traveling tool shows, Speedway

Bought it about 13 years ago, I never used the manual 20 ton jack, I bought the air over hydraulic 12T used it about forever till the air chamber failed, then ran to HF n bought another 12T air over hydraulic about 3 years ago.

I use it on average about 3 times a week, mainly to press pistons off rods, or R&R FWD bearings, sometimes diff bearings and pinion bearings, and on occasion RWD bearings.

No signs of wallowing in the peg holes on mine.

I did over stress the frame one time and popped the lower brace loose from the weld, but 3 rods of 6013 fixed that.

I have always said you have to be nuts to do press work.... nothing is safe about it.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
most guys I've run into say you need to reinforce the stand for saftey. they are known to fail. Once that is done, the press is much safer to use.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
Wait so which one is this, the 12t or 20t?

Are the frames the same?

Many many many people have used the 20T and I haven't heard of any issues or serious injuries related to a failure of the frame or jack itself. The arbor plates are another story...be careful with those..

·
MuthaFuckaUppa
2009 Civic Si Sedan
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The result I showed was the FOS, not the stress.

My press was free, It looks like the 12T frame, but it has a 20T jack, and it is orange, I am assuming it is a Harbor Freight, 98.64% sure it is.

I will take pictures of the holes on it tonight. I am glad I noticed them before I really started bearing down on it.

I started the post just as a warning, to be careful when using cheap tools. They can still get the job done, just watch your ass.

Right way, the wrong way, and the Max Powers way.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
The 20t frame is bigger. My buddy has the 12t, used the hell out of it to press bushings in my car, he used it for his Chevy truck too.

I would get the bigger 20t if I was to spend the moneys.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
agreed. the 20t is what I want. still going to reinforce the frame anyways. I have a buddy who welds so I will make it twice as strong.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,099 Posts
autozone rental tools, or harbor freight

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Where do you guys get adapter rings for LCA bushings & such?
My buddy had a set from somewhere, they were multi colored, possibly HF.

We also used sockets where needed if I am being completely honest.

The press wasnt as helpful on my civic as the c-clamp style press for ball joints too.

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
The result I showed was the FOS, not the stress.

My press was free, It looks like the 12T frame, but it has a 20T jack, and it is orange, I am assuming it is a Harbor Freight, 98.64% sure it is.

I will take pictures of the holes on it tonight. I am glad I noticed them before I really started bearing down on it.

I started the post just as a warning, to be careful when using cheap tools. They can still get the job done, just watch your ass.

Right way, the wrong way, and the Max Powers way.
FOS can be wrong (as well as stress) it the analysis is not setup correctly - that is why I asked you about your constraints, loads, materials and boundary conditions. If you look at the analysis that I did (1 ton on that surface) it shows the material has a yield strength more than 6X what is being developed...so something doesn't jive. And I used cheap ass steal as the material.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts