Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you get rid of that oil gas smell?

I normally work on cars and get dirty but clean up with some fast orange or normal soap. But thats normally brakes, coolante system, sensors etc..

Today i did a fuel filter and got dirt and gas all over my hands. There clean but still smell like oily gas.

Any idea how to get rid of the smell?

Its been awhile since my hands have had this smell and dont remember what i did before.

·
Registered
88' honda civic
467 Posts
Pretty much just have to wait till it wears off, i haven't found anything that makes it go ALL THE WAY away.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re soak hand in gas and then use a lighter to burn the smell away... wait.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lol. Then id been left with burnt smelling bones and a trip to the er.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Just had gas on my hands two nights ago, doing a carb. So I use normal dish soap to remove bulky crap, then I use powdered laundry detergent and a smidge of water, rub vigorously, youll feel your hands getting warm from the reaction with the soap and water, scrub scrub, rinse and done.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Been wondering the same thing. I like the lighting yourself on fire idea!

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. I'd have gloves on if I didn't run out.
Ended up getting all dirty in my good cloths because I wasn't even suppose to be doing the job, but they needed help so I did it.

I'll try to wash them again and try the leonmon juice.

Thanx guys.

·
Registered
650 Posts
WD-40 might help with that. At least that doesn't smell as bad as gas.

I don't know about the two of them together, though...

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
i love it when my hands smell of gasoline. :)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
When you washing your hands just use enough water to get your hands a little wet, no need to drown them in water. You should scrub long enough to at least sing happy birthday twice in your head.

Use a strong scented soap, like lemon or orange and use Vaseline after.

·
Registered
1998 Civic dx Hatch
88 Posts
I use lava soap to get the bulk of the stuff off then I use a smell good soap to mask the smell.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
753 Posts
I just take off the pair of gloves that smell like gas and the problem is solved ;)
This lol.

Or another option I've found to work rather well:

That stuff works great. Got a half gallon from the dealer for $24 about a year ago and I haven't hardly put a dent in it.

·
Registered
Wherever I can
49 Posts
This lol.

Or another option I've found to work rather well:

That stuff works great. Got a half gallon from the dealer for $24 about a year ago and I haven't hardly put a dent in it.
I used this at my buddy's shop. Works pretty well for oil and grease, not sure about gas though. However he swears by it and refuses to buy anything else

1 - 20 of 23 Posts