Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, who here is an operator?

I'm working on getting my technicians license, and just curious if any of my D Fam are on the air waves?

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
Tempted to get into it somewhat, apparently I need a licence to operate some of the higher wattage video transmitters I've been looking into attaching to my RC multirotor. Rather than using google I'll ask here instead, what exactly is involved in doing so?

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tempted to get into it somewhat, apparently I need a licence to operate some of the higher wattage video transmitters I've been looking into attaching to my RC multirotor. Rather than using google I'll ask here instead, what exactly is involved in doing so?
Well, basically you have to get a license to operate on HAM at all. Once you get the license your free to transmit, just gotta decide what radio you want etc etc...

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Are you doing this to prepare for SHTF? LOL, cause I am
Yes and no.

Yes because well HAM stuff is good for stuff like thAt.

No because HAM is something I always wanted to do since its basically like the army radios that I have experience on so setting them up will be a breeze.

O and there is something awesome about talking to people across the world

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes and no.

Yes because well HAM stuff is good for stuff like thAt.

No because HAM is something I always wanted to do since its basically like the army radios that I have experience on so setting them up will be a breeze.

O and there is something awesome about talking to people across the world
Right on, kind of how I am too. Just more emphasis on it now, with our counties condition.

Hurry and get your license, so we can link up. I hope to have my license in the next month

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well here is my first Radio I bought.

its a Baofeng UV5R plus. Its comparable to a Yeasu, just costs about 150 bucks less. but for 60-70 bucks (shipped on Amazon), its WORTH EVERY PENNY.

You can buy this book on Amazon for like 18 bucks. Decent book to study for the technician test so far.

·
Formally D_Tuned
97 civic HX
2,884 Posts
I'd want something like this if I bought one

While doing a bit of research I thought building one might be a fun project or even possibly buying a non working one for cheap and tracking down a old service manual.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd want something like this if I bought one

While doing a bit of research I thought building one might be a fun project or even possibly buying a non working one for cheap and tracking down a old service manual.
I have decent general knowledge of electronics, but dont know if I kmow enough about circuitry to build a radio...It would be pretty sweet to rock my own homebrew radio though

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Right on, kind of how I am too. Just more emphasis on it now, with our counties condition.

Hurry and get your license, so we can link up. I hope to have my license in the next month
Well here is my first Radio I bought.

its a Baofeng UV5R plus. Its comparable to a Yeasu, just costs about 150 bucks less. but for 60-70 bucks (shipped on Amazon), its WORTH EVERY PENNY.

You can buy this book on Amazon for like 18 bucks. Decent book to study for the technician test so far.

Well that's the thing I have been trying to find someone to give me the test and trying to fit in on someone else's tight schedule that doesn't fit mine is a PITA.

But I do look forward to catching you over the waves sometime

Hopefully at latest ill have mine early next year. Let me know when your done with that book, if you don't mind I would like to borrow it.

Nice radio BTW.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Nice to see some interest in Ham Radio here. I'm licensed (NN4S is my call) and am also a VE here in the North AL area. I've not been very active lately, but have been in the past and have a completely mobile station for emergency use as well as my home station. Here's a couple of pictures of my Jeep and it's setup- can't see the CW paddles & automatic tuner for the whip in them, but they're there.

I used to really enjoy driving it, but at 13 MPG it just sits unless there's an emergency that I need to support (or I need to haul something on a trailer). :whistling:

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice to see some interest in Ham Radio here. I'm licensed (NN4S is my call) and am also a VE here in the North AL area. I've not been very active lately, but have been in the past and have a completely mobile station for emergency use as well as my home station. Here's a couple of pictures of my Jeep and it's setup- can't see the CW paddles & automatic tuner for the whip in them, but they're there.

I used to really enjoy driving it, but at 13 MPG it just sits unless there's an emergency that I need to support (or I need to haul something on a trailer). :whistling:
Very Nice! is that an Icom???

I want to get an Icom 706C for HF, to put in my truck. Figure HF will be the best for Long range in SHTF situation.

Pics of home station?

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
whats goin on in here?
Are yall just using a radio to just listen on in the cops or make money?
Neither; we use our radios to talk amongst ourselves and to help out in emergency situations when commercial communications channels are toast. The Jeep is actually my main tornado chaser and damage reporting station. I've talked with folks all over with the HF rig, but the UHF/VHF rig is the one generally used for storm spotting and reporting duty. The GPS allows me to give accurate positional information when reporting damage to the EMA so that they can get the best idea of what kind of track storms took from the amount of damage/location.

The HF rig is an IC706MkIIg; the dual bander an Alinco DR610. Both are a bit dated compared to what's available now, but I originally built it back in 2002 so that should be no big surprise.

I'll have to see if I've got any photos of the shack in its prime, as right now it is piled high with stuff in storage. Like I said, I haven't really had time to use it... that means that it just ends up being another area for stuff to end up stashed out of the way! :wacko:

·
VTEC withdrawals
i "ride" yo momma
1,339 Posts
ive always wanted to do ham. i love my cb setup so id prolly get off on ham. 2drz6 how does the handheld a5hatch picked up compare to our handheld radios? im assuming army uses the same junk the usmc uses

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ive always wanted to do ham. i love my cb setup so id prolly get off on ham. 2drz6 how does the handheld a5hatch picked up compare to our handheld radios? im assuming army uses the same junk the usmc uses

Spoon: Depends on what radio' you've used. These will have the range (depending on how you set up, of if you use echolink) that a Mbitter, or Harris handheld have. They wont have the encryption options both have, or satellite connectivity like the Harris has, but have the ability to go long distance through repeaters.

For 50-60 bucks you wont find radio's that can go as far as this lol

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Spoon: Depends on what radio' you've used. These will have the range (depending on how you set up, of if you use echolink) that a Mbitter, or Harris handheld have. They wont have the encryption options both have, or satellite connectivity like the Harris has, but have the ability to go long distance through repeaters.

For 50-60 bucks you wont find radio's that can go as far as this lol
If y'all are using a Thales mbitr then a 2 cans and a string is better than that garbage radio.

Thales MBITR which is a piece of shit(can stress enough about has shitty they are)

Now if you are using the Harris 152A then you really can't get much better than that. They are extremely user friendly. They use HF/VHF(IIRC, I'm a little rusty on it), and support frequency hopping. I would love to have one since they are just plain badass

HARRIS 152A

Now without specs and not ever personally used the one a5 has I honestly can't tell you how it compares to most handheld radios the military uses.

Now if I'm doing a base or home station, he'll even a station setup in a truck I would shoot for something that was equivalent to a Harris 117G. Is a bigger version of the 152A but has satcom(satellite communications), HF/VHF/and UHF capabilities.

But most civilian handhelds regardless have a limit on power output of 5watts(someone correct me if I'm wrong). That gives you limited range, but a good antenna will help out a lot.

I could blow y'all's mind on military radios lol. Sad part I went for IT and not radios.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts