Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many are on this site?

I know I can be the only one that does it can I?

If you are an operator-

What class licenses you hold

How long you been a Ham

post up you rig and setup.

what bands your on

I dont really recommend posting publicly since they can pull your info online really easily

Im only hold a Tech license currently, going for my general soon

Only been a ham for about a year now and love it. Had to sell my 1st rig (ICOM V-8000 love that radio) becuase of financial woes

My rig is a Kenwood TM-261 mobile currently (no pics currently). going to get a power supply and a good full wave antenna and set up a base station fot packet transmissions.

I have a Baofeng UV-B6 on the way. Hopefully I can work some satcom stuff since that radio is dual band 144/440.

Is the radio is only a 2m rig (144-146mhz) I only work 2m currently.

Like I said I cant be the only here that does this

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
Since I work in the radio communications field, I've been interested in getting my HAMM for a while. I hear the Tech license is easy to get, and I can probably put some equipment together from spare parts here at work (yay for companies trashing $15K radios). Where did you go to get your HAMM and how much/hard was the test?

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I work in the radio communications field, I've been interested in getting my HAMM for a while. I hear the Tech license is easy to get, and I can probably put some equipment together from spare parts here at work (yay for companies trashing $15K radios). Where did you go to get your HAMM and how much/hard was the test?
I take it you still work for Harris? I need a good antenna lol and maybe an 30 amp power supply if you got any laying around off the books lol.

Tech license is easy, seemed like mostly FCC and safety stuff on the test. If you have a local community college check and see if they have a class (that's what I did). $25 for the class, $25 for the book and a $10 test fee.

Or

I can send you my tech book and you can go thru it study up and find a local club that will administer the test ( 3 people required, 1 tester 2 observers/graders)

Either way to save you some $$$ I can send you my book and let you use it till your done

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
Yes, I'm still with Harris (coming up on 4 years). I'll look around and see what PA's we have that're going to be "trashed" and what antennas we have around (highly doubt I can get one of those). Heh, I have an old, TV antenna that I pulled off my roof...you're welcome to use that...haha

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I'm still with Harris (coming up on 4 years). I'll look around and see what PA's we have that're going to be "trashed" and what antennas we have around (highly doubt I can get one of those). Heh, I have an old, TV antenna that I pulled off my roof...you're welcome to use that...haha
Good deal. I still wouldnt mind working for them but maybe down the road after I get a degree. I aint to terriably worried about the antenna as much as the power supply.

BTW here is a list of all the Ham clubs in VA. Looks to be one in Lynchburg

HamDepot - Virginia Ham Radio Clubs | VA Amateur Radio Clubs

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
There are a couple in Lynchburg, and from what the guys here tell me, they're pretty good (and pretty big).

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are a couple in Lynchburg, and from what the guys here tell me, they're pretty good (and pretty big).
Thats awesome. There use to be a club in my home town, bbuuuttt they are long gone but left the repeater up to use.

There is some maintenance that needs to be done to it.. Tower is like 100' tall but sits on outer edge on top of a mountain.

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
One of our towers is up on a local mountain (Candler's Mountain), so it gets GREAT coverage for repeating. I need to look more into HAM stuff, especially with how the federal government is starting to do things...:-/

What's your call sign?

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of our towers is up on a local mountain (Candler's Mountain), so it gets GREAT coverage for repeating. I need to look more into HAM stuff, especially with how the federal government is starting to do things...:-/

What's your call sign?
I sent you it in a PM. So far the best repeater with good coverage is in Charlotte

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
Charlotte is a good repeater. Let me see if I can find the Candler's Mountain repeater's freq's (unless you have them/it already).

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charlotte is a good repeater. Let me see if I can find the Candler's Mountain repeater's freq's (unless you have them/it already).
Hell I have my new to me rig for less than a week, I honestly know like 7 repeater that are in there, 1 of Charlotte's, 1 in China Grove, 1in Taylorsville besides Im only like couple hundred feet from that one anyway lol, couple in Wilkesboro, and Surratown Mountain and their alt repeater.

By all means post it up

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Just wondering how many are on this site?
I know I can't be the only one that does it can I? Nope!

If you are an operator-

What class licenses you hold? Extra- also a VE

How long you been a Ham? Since around `90 or so- I'd have to dig up my original license to find the exact date.

Post up you rig and setup: Could've sworn we had a thread on this already... oh yeah, here it is! ;)

What bands your on? None lately; no time between work at school and classes at another school!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.