Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears my newly installed halfshaft/transmission seal is leaking. I'm guessing that's bad, what can I do about it?

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's pass side, haven't got a real good look at it yet, won't have access to a jack till I get home.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aight, after taking it all apart, moving the seal so it makes better contact with the halfshaft, it still leaks. Unfortunately I now realize that it doesn't need to contact the face of the halfshaft in order to form a proper seal just the shaft part, which implies that the seal is the wrong size, or has some defect along the interior ring.

Before I tear it apart again, can anyone tell me exactly how much oil is supposed to be in your transmission case? or where the oil level would be physically on the tranmission.

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aight, after taking it all apart, moving the seal so it makes better contact with the halfshaft, it still leaks. Unfortunately I now realize that it doesn't need to contact the face of the halfshaft in order to form a proper seal just the shaft part, which implies that the seal is the wrong size, or has some defect along the interior ring.

Before I tear it apart again, can anyone tell me exactly how much oil is supposed to be in your transmission case? or where the oil level would be physically on the tranmission.
I ask this because i'm curious if there's not simply too much oil in the transmission. Are these seals simply dust covers? or are they actually intended to keep oil from leaking out from the seam between the halftshaft and transmission?

If the oil in my transmission has drained down to the level of the halftshaft seal, am I injuring the transmission when I drive? Surely it's not GOOD for it, but is this something i'm going to regret soon?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts