Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Hump Day DSO!!! I've got a problem and figured maybe y'all have run into it as well. I have an H.I.D kit hooked up and at first the low and high beams worked properly but soon after only the high beams work. Not only that, but I have to do this whole song and dance with turning them on and off, turning the switch before clicking the high beams, vice versa just to get both lights to come on. Most of the time one light comes on and eventually the other will follow suit. The low beams never come on. I've swapped light switches with my other car and the low beam fuse is intact. Has this happened to anyone else? p.s. these are brand spanking new H.I.D's. Thank you all...

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Check the wiring,if that checks out good then either the bulbs or ballast are bad.

Make sure you have 12 volts with the switch on at the headlight plug. All so make sure you have grounds d it's clean and tight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had the wrong voltage years ago going through my old maxima's headlight plugs. Melted the plastic plugs right off the connection and ended up burning up the wires as well. Double check the connections for sure.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me when I say I've checked wiring, fuses, relays, the gas level, tire pressure, everything. I'm leaning towards a ballast but DAMN, a brand new set with about 3 weeks on it has already failed. I didn't want to believe it.... Figured I'd throw the question and see if there's something simple I missed. I have been drinking this entire week :)

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I've had brand new kits go bad in a short time.had a ballast burn a hole in it housing.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Do you have them on a relay harness other then the stock relay?

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Are these stock hids or plug and play aftermarket and which car are they on? I have some ddm tuning high and low hids and the bulb melted the plastic around the base of the bulb so the magnet couldnt pull the bulb down for the hi low function

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Stop buying cheap HID kits, or, better yet, don't use HID kits in cars that weren't designed to run them.

Just maybe?

Have you tested the outputs of the ballast? Is there a way to do that safely? (The output is likely pretty high frequency, high voltage electricity, so ZAP!)

·
Registered
Ek sedan
382 Posts
I have ddm tuning hi/lo 55w and I've never had a problem with them. But before with cheap ballasts I've had them go out in a week.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Stop buying cheap HID kits, or, better yet, don't use HID kits in cars that weren't designed to run them.

Just maybe?
A car designed for H.I.D's simply has wiring,relays, and fuses to protect the circuit. My kit has a wiring harness with relays, and fuses. There is no reason one can't install H.I.D's on a vehicle that didn't come with them. Why do you have modifications to your ride that didn't come from factory? Not to be argumentative but I didn't post this on a forum for "modifying" vehicles to be harassed about my choice in modifications. Thank you for any help though.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
what kind of hids are these? plug and play, good or cheap quality? like i said my ddm tuning hi/low h4 setup the bulb base melted a little not allowing the bulb to be pulled back with the magnet for the hi and i had another one melt with the hi beams on causing that one bulb to stay in hi no matter what. ddm tuning is pretty good but i still have problems with them, my first pair i bought lasted a year before a bulb went out then it seems like i warranty them out at least twice a year for new bulbs, on top of that the bulbs never seem to match in color temperature.

if you dont have a good set of PnP hids then i suggest buying a set of ddm tuning since they are lifetime warranty and right now they are on sale for 55$ for hi/low kits when i paid 90 for mine 3 years ago

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
A car designed for H.I.D's simply has wiring,relays, and fuses to protect the circuit. My kit has a wiring harness with relays, and fuses. There is no reason one can't install H.I.D's on a vehicle that didn't come with them. Why do you have modifications to your ride that didn't come from factory? Not to be argumentative but I didn't post this on a forum for "modifying" vehicles to be harassed about my choice in modifications. Thank you for any help though.
I'm not talking about the wiring. I am talking about the lens/reflector design. If it wasn't designed to work with HIDs, it is suboptimal, optically offensive, annoying and illegal in nearly every state.

This is not a modification that improves overall performance. It nearly always creates a crapton of glare, a very poor light spread pattern and is dangerous for other people on the road, which you completely disregard when doing something this asinine, especially if you don't at least realign your headlights to get the pattern down into the realm of not blinding everyone in front of you.

*shrugs*

Do whatever you want, man. It's your car.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still getting my ass kicked. I have power to the plug at the bulb and from switching between high and low the power switches circuits but still no activation of the low beams. How can this be? BTW, the bulbs where switched with brand new ones. As to what "The Acid Beaver" said, my headlights are aftermarket and from that manufacturer came with H.I.D's. Additionally H.I.D's only produce glare when you go for blue or purple colors. The deeper color gets absorbed/blends into the road and only accomplishes an aesthetic appeal. I have 6000k which greatly improved clarity and distance of sight. H.I.D's are not dangerous for other people on the road unless you have the bulb aimed too high. "Asinine" really man? It's called advancements in technology. H.I.D's were not put on the market to look good, they just happen to also have that quality. All in all, I'm not here to fight or debate on who's right. I'm just looking to come onto a forum and ask a question and seek any beneficial help. I'd do the same for you. No hard feelings please.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
i would like to ask for what car are these HID and are they Bi beams...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts