Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here, so bare with me everyone lol.

Last night I assembled my new Eagle H-beam rods, forged 8:7:1 pistons, and rings for my boosted build. Tonight I plan on knocking the glaze off the cylinders, cleaning the block and start putting the bottom end together, but I was wondering if anyone has run thirds rods and knew if everything would clear, or if I'd need to do some grinding to the block and girdle to get the clearance I need.

Thank you,
Mark

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Awesome new topic no one has ever encountered before!

Yes, you will run into clearance issues running Eagle H-beams. Notch the block and some off the girdle.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you blk92!

As said, I'm knew here, on my phone, and at work lol kind of hard to do a good search at the moment. This is also my 1st Honda build, so I feel a little un easy lol. Built a lot of GM v8's though do its not my first build.

I was really supprised at the size difference between the stock rods and these new ones.

Hope to get the engine back together before the weekend so I can bolt it to the tranny and hang it from the garage ceiling so I can start mocking up my rear tube chassis and suspension in my Porsche that this is going in.

Right now I have a small stock turbo off of an 80's Saab 900, but plan on getting a t3/t4 closer to the end of the build.....shooting for around 300hp in a less than 1,500 lb mid engined car :)

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
apparently there are new Eagle rods which do not require notching of the block, but you still need to check for clearance at the girdle.

you will need to check clearances at both the block and girdle.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
apparently there are new Eagle rods which do not require notching of the block, but you still need to check for clearance at the girdle.

you will need to check clearances at both the block and girdle.
Sounds titties to me... I'd be willing to give them a try lol

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Whenever you deviate from stock on anything, you should check clearances and fit.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I like to see a minimum clearance of at least 0.060" between rods and block and rods and girdle. If it's hard to see, I test with some 0.060" copper wire.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a quick little notch in the bottom of the cylinders the rods had plenty of room, but when I torqued the girdle down I ended up needing to take a lot out of it to clear the heads of the rod bolts.

Here is what I ended up with to clear

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
damn looks like a lot was taken off the girdle!

and wait did you say this is going into a mid engine porsche?
i wanna see pictures of this!

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Saw and commented on that build thread...it'll be awesome!

Yeah, that's a bit more than what you probably needed...but it'll do fine.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I did say test with 0.060" wire, not your pinky finger, but it will be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts