Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i'm still in the process of getting all the parts together for my turbo...i figure i'll buy the gauges next since i've been itching to install somthing on my car rather than just stock parts and wait...So my main delema for the gauges is mechanical or electrical...Heres what i'm gonna have
3 Pillar A pod:
Water Temp...120-240...elec or mech?
Oil Pressure...0-100psi...elec or mech?
Voltmeter...8-18v...elec of course

2 on steering column:
Boost...20psi/30In.Hg
Wideband O2...possibly PLX-M250 from Forced Air Performance

So thats what i think i'm going to be ordering within the next couple days...i'm looking to find out really if mechanical will be better than electrical...i'm just not to fond of the idea of a bunch of fluid in the cabin...but if they will read better then i'll go with mech...that and they are cheaper...

By the way, these are all Autometer Sport Comp gauges

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...looks like i'll be going with mechanical for oil pressure and boost...and electric for water temp, volts and widebad...

T

·
0 Posts
speedhut.com will make gauges to match there covers.

I already have there gauge faces and when I have a butt load of cash burning a hole in my pocket I will get a boost gauge to match. Not sure I really need a boost gauge but what the heck.

And no I don't have tacky custom gauges with flames on em-look more like a stock vw gti.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rexinre said:
Mechanical is good! Consider a Oil temp gauge.
yea...with the mechanical temp gauges does liquid actually flow into the cabin or what? I went with the electric water temp gauge because it was $16 cheaper and i figure it wont change to fast so electric should be fine for that...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rexinre said:
Yes the oil goes right up into the cabin through a tube that is the bad part. I used electrical on all mine... Have no problems

Machanical is good
Electrical is better (IMO)
I've heard that electrical gauges lag and arent as accurate...is that true or is it just a bunch of bullshit?

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
CrazyConscious said:
I've heard that electrical gauges lag and arent as accurate...is that true or is it just a bunch of bullshit?
Bullshit If anything the ones with the oil lags because it takes time to go up the tube into the sensor on the back of the gauge, espically on cold mornings... think about how thick oil is and how long and skinny that tube is.

Just my observation though. Electrical current travels faster then oil/air/water!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rexinre said:
Bullshit If anything the ones with the oil lags because it takes time to go up the tube into the sensor on the back of the gauge, espically on cold mornings... think about how thick oil is and how long and skinny that tube is.

Just my observation though. Electrical current travels faster then oil/air/water!
Thats what i would have thought...thanks for the intput...either way i'll probably go with whats cheaper...:alky:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts