Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 95 civic ex EG and I need to know what kind of lights are used for the instrument cluster? I want to change them to a diff color for the backlighting. I have a website that I think are them, but I need to know for sure before I buy them. Here is the link, they are at the very bottom. 74 light bulbs, i think....

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

well, the link isn't acting right. here is a pic:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/store/html/images/74-2.jpg

and here is the description:
74 Wedge Base LED bulb
Small Wedge Base LED bulb (74 type)~ 2 lumen
3/16 inch wide base, 13/16 inch overall length
Flat tipped LED produces wide beam angle

try this:http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LEDS

type in 74 at the top, and then go down to the bottom of the page and those are them...

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind, I found out the answer by going to my local auto store.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are 74mm. wedge type.... I didn't get the ones on the bottom of the page, I got the 74's inthe mid of the page.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to let everyone know, that I got my bulbs in today and I installed them. Wow, they make a difference inthe day. I am going to wait till the night and really see how much brighter they are. I replaced every bulb with red,blue,green,amber, and uv. Looks good so far. I will try to get a pic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are these the same size and the two bulbs in the heat control unit? Cuz mine always go out there and I think LED will last longer. By the way take some pics, I wanna see how it looks like :)

·
Registered
1993 civicEX
206 Posts
did you have to solder in the new ones or are they direct plug i did the full light up face ones on my ef and found they just twisted out i havent pulled the dash out of my ej so !!rep for pics!!

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you have to solder in the new ones or are they direct plug i did the full light up face ones on my ef and found they just twisted out i havent pulled the dash out of my ej so !!rep for pics!!
they are direct plug and play. spin the old ones out of the guage cluster and put in the new ones. no soldering...To be honest, I went factory colors, like green for the turn signals, blue for the high beams and red for SRS and oil light, etc. I reccommend not changing out the high beams. That bitch will blind you. Very bright, pretty but bright.

I also changed all my backlighting onthe guage to UV bulbs, and blue on the far outsides of the guages. I have blue/white gauges. I am looking for UV pens/ permanent markers and planning on coloring my needles with the uv marker. Thats one way to get colored needles. I will take pics when I get my car back. Maybe Friday, if all goes well.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are these the same size and the two bulbs in the heat control unit? Cuz mine always go out there and I think LED will last longer. By the way take some pics, I wanna see how it looks like :)
Ill take pics when I get my car, and I haven't had a prob so far with them going out. Ive only had them for a short while. Heat control unit, not sure what you are talking about. but they dont get hot, if thats what you mean

·
Registered
1993 civicEX
206 Posts
how much time/money went into this project i was looking at one of the ebay specials. i was really liking the 05 style guages i might just go with those but idk

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spent 50 dollars all together. I bought uv backlights and last night I bought uv stamp ink and I am going to cover my needles with the ink and it should light up pretty well. I will take pics of the cluster maybe friday. and pics of the needles with the uv ink whenever I get the ink. it didn't take but 20 minutes to change out the bulbs. I am pleased so far. pics coming soon

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much time/money went into this project i was looking at one of the ebay specials. i was really liking the 05 style guages i might just go with those but idk
my gauges arent factory. I got the blue/white/red aftermarket gauges. and then change the light bulbs inthe back of your gauge to any color you want. thats what I did. but deffinitly get aftermarket gauges.

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they are actually 5 #24 and 1 #74..

the climate control has 2 #74.
what are you talking about. all the lights in the guage cluster, on the back, are #74. not #24. My cluster doesn't have climate control. You talking about the lights inthe dash behind the radio/as controls? If so, then you got me there. we aren't talking about that if you are.

·
Registered
93 Civic EX
746 Posts
what are you talking about. all the lights in the guage cluster, on the back, are #74. not #24. My cluster doesn't have climate control. You talking about the lights inthe dash behind the radio/as controls? If so, then you got me there. we aren't talking about that if you are.

no i'm positive its 5 #24 and 1 #74 for the rear. I JUST did mine. This is EG correct? You remove the bulbs from it's base and plug in the #24s and #74 into the bulbs.

I just added the climate control in case people change color and also want the climate control above the radio to be the same color. :)

it even says in this how-to to use 5/24 and 1 74

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=661308

·
Registered
1993 civicEX
206 Posts
rep to anyone that can tell me how to remove the grey peice on that dash i have been planing to do so but from what i can see i have to remove the entire dash and f that way too much work

1 - 20 of 41 Posts