Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I picked up a Garrett gt4294r ball bearing turbo for a smoking deal. Hot side is a 1.01

Im building a drag car only and wondering if my setup is going to spool this.

I know its overkill for my bottom end, but I plan on sleeving a bottom end over the winter anyways.

Bottom end:

1.5L JDM vtec block
fj rods
vitara pistons

Head:
z6 head
bisi 3.6 cam
supertech valve springs
crower retainers
port and polished
Golden Eagle intake mani

Is the 1.5L block going to hurt spool that bad? Should I switch everything over to a 1.6L z6 bottom end? or wait until I get a higher compression sleeved bottom end? If I seen boost by 6500ish Id be happy. Ive seen gsr's almost stock spool it by 6000-6500, hoping Id be pretty close.

Im going to build a twinscroll mani and backdoor intercooler to help with the spool time.

Heres a picture comparison next to my "little" 6262.... lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
Boost dropping between shifts is where that turbo is going to kill you. Not to mention only making power up top.

A broader range of power like you will have with the 6262 will do a LOT better then the big 42r.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
My 6262 is Journal bearing and I dont think it will make 700whp

The last owner made 475whp at 27psi with a similar setup to mine
Dont blame the whole ordeal on the turbo lol..... Mine is journal bearing too. 30psi made over 600. my buddies gsr 6262 jb, made [email protected] spinning the tires on the roller

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
There is nothing wrong with journal bearings. At all. In many cases they are more robust than ball bearing CHRAs.

That is a )(#*$()*$ huge turbo. You will likely have a tremendous MPH if you can spool that thing and stay in boost long enough on a 1/4 mile track. I think the 6262 will likely produce better results all around.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an idea how Im going to spool it up and keep it in boost between shifts. Will update when I make my build thread. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I would run the 6262 all day long for your goals. That garrett is a fucking monster.

If you're just in it to do something crazy, go with the Garrett. But I would go with the wider powerband of the 6262.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Flat shifting and nitrous.
Gotta launch that shit on the bottle! lol.

That thing is way big OP, I'd sell it for other goodies to help the 6262 out.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I dont plan on using nitrous. Im trying to sell my turbo and topmount now. If they can sell I have something different Im going to try. If they dont sell Ill use the 6262 this year and upgrade over the winter.

·
Registered
510 Posts
not "can't", but "shouldn't" rev the vitara.

8500rpm is what my "race" vitara redline is at. I don't go past 8000 though. They were probably talking like 9-10k revving...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts