Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If the R is on the end of a GT series turbo it is Ball Bearing. otherwise its journal bearing. Just read the description, if its got an R it should be ball bearing, even for the knock offs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i have pulled apart 4 supposed bb ebay turbos and none of them were ball bearing.all journal bearing.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Mirage is where I bought my GT35 from. It was 240 shipped, and they offer a GT35R for about 500. And when I was talking to him about rebuild kits, he thought I had bought the R I guess, cus he said they only sell cartridges, not rebuild kits. I mentioned that I had journal, and he admitted his confusion.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
Mirage is where I bought my GT35 from. It was 240 shipped, and they offer a GT35R for about 500. And when I was talking to him about rebuild kits, he thought I had bought the R I guess, cus he said they only sell cartridges, not rebuild kits. I mentioned that I had journal, and he admitted his confusion.
do you have a web site?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Many of the gt "clones" arent clones at all. If you have done the math, and decided for a turbo, check the garrett homepage and compare the specs of the turbo's. In the auctions I saw the specs were WAY off the gt turbo's they were listed as. So make sure what kind of turbo it is, it seems like it could be anything.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The GT "clones" are just generic wheels/housings they use on other turbos, with water cooled CHRAs instead of just oil cooled.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm running a gt2860rs clone. But I also work in the facility it was designed/machined in. After seeing the results on the turbo tester (glowing red and sustained abuse) and seeing the vsr balance sheets I am confident it is equal or better than a real garrett. Custom dual ceramic ball bearings made in the usa not china. The castings are however made in china and machined here.

As for ebay ones, I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm running a gt2860rs clone. But I also work in the facility it was designed/machined in. After seeing the results on the turbo tester (glowing red and sustained abuse) and seeing the vsr balance sheets I am confident it is equal or better than a real garrett. Custom dual ceramic ball bearings made in the usa not china. The castings are however made in china and machined here.

As for ebay ones, I have no experience with them.
You have my interest as well... an insider!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
^^How much was your clone?
Link?
You don't want to know haha.;)

I would just get a cheap holset and call it a day. Holset is the turbo that comes in for warranty work the least and they are probably the most abused. Holset and mitsubishi turbos can't go wrong for the price.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would just get a cheap holset and call it a day. Holset is the turbo that comes in for warranty work the least and they are probably the most abused. Holset and mitsubishi turbos can't go wrong for the price.
i 100% agree with this guy.mitsu and holset turbos can take a beating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts