Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know how to do this ... after reading a few of the DIYs here. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the leads in far enough to get a reading once I plug the TPS in. Any helpful hints to doing this?

Also the plastic handle bits on the leads from the voltmeter I have a a bit wide so it's hard to get the second one in straight after shoving the first one in. I have no idea how far I should be shoving these in from the back of the plug.

Help me track down my erratic idle.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
So I know how to do this ... after reading a few of the DIYs here. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get the leads in far enough to get a reading once I plug the TPS in. Any helpful hints to doing this?

Also the plastic handle bits on the leads from the voltmeter I have a a bit wide so it's hard to get the second one in straight after shoving the first one in. I have no idea how far I should be shoving these in from the back of the plug.

Help me track down my erratic idle.
Grab a paperclip or like item wrap it around your test probe leads and continue the adjustment.(lacing wire works great) Just make sure you get a reading then you have them in there far enough. good luck

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that with some staples ... shoved them in until they wouldn't push in any further. No reading. :(

Maybe I just need to try again ... must go paper clip hunting.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I tried that with some staples ... shoved them in until they wouldn't push in any further. No reading. :(

Maybe I just need to try again ... must go paper clip hunting.
staples are too short, try to get something at least a couple inches long in order to get your probes separated. Also make sure your Multimeter is working properly.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just bought the multimeter today and it appears to be taking readings just fine.

They were big wood staples.

I think I might have a bad wire. When I take readings straight from the plug with the car on I get some readings that might be odd.

From what would be the bottom of the plug when it's plugged into the TPS ... wires are 1,2 and 3.

1-2= 0.01
1-3= 5.01
2-3= 3.63ish

Is that normal?

Found paper clips ... shoved them in until I couldn't push them in any further ... still no reading ... I don't want to push too hard and damage the plug.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm getting to that point. A few other things to check before I decide to have someone else track down the idle issue.

I can't believe I need to go buy more tools to check my frickin' spark plugs ... ah well Harbor Freight FTMFW!!!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah I'm getting to that point. A few other things to check before I decide to have someone else track down the idle issue.

I can't believe I need to go buy more tools to check my frickin' spark plugs ... ah well Harbor Freight FTMFW!!!
If your going to harbor freight try to find a probe kit to get into the back of the plug, or you can just probe the wires themselves.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probe the wires how? I suppose I could just cut off some of the insulation and then put electrical tape back over them, but somehow that strikes me as a bad plan.

Unless I can find probes that are thinner than paper clips I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to fine one's that will get far enough in there.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Probe the wires how? I suppose I could just cut off some of the insulation and then put electrical tape back over them, but somehow that strikes me as a bad plan.

Unless I can find probes that are thinner than paper clips I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to fine one's that will get far enough in there.
Really your probes should be sharp enough to penetrate the wire thats why they are pointed, Im sorry to hear your having such trouble with this it is fairly easy.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok ... note to self gentleness is overrated.

Anyway jammed the fuckers in there and I thinks I haz bad TPS.

Taking reading between wires 2 and 3.
Throttle closed = 4.19
Throttle open = 0.22

Aren't those backwards? And the wrong numbers?

And of course the bolts/screws holding the damn thing on are rusted and stripped. I guess it's junkyard time. Woohoo.

Or time to pull the TB back off and try to break the damn things loose.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ok ... note to self gentleness is overrated.

Anyway jammed the fuckers in there and I thinks I haz bad TPS.

Taking reading between wires 2 and 3.
Throttle closed = 4.19
Throttle open = 0.22

Aren't those backwards? And the wrong numbers?

And of course the bolts/screws holding the damn thing on are rusted and stripped. I guess it's junkyard time. Woohoo.

Or time to pull the TB back off and try to break the damn things loose.
Sounds like you got the probes backwards

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I put the positive lead in the center wire. At least according to how the multimeter directions told me to set it up. I'll have to try again ... and maybe figure out some way to get those damn bolts out.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know that's why I thought the readings were ... odd.

So either my leads were backwards (more likely, I hope) or my TPS is somehow rotated 180 degrees or something like that.

·
I survived code 9
1998 Honda Civic DX
1,662 Posts
Depends on the year, but I think the middle wire is the wire you're looking for. Black/red (96-00).

around .5 idle--4.5 wot.

You can rotate the Tps to adjust the wot and then you use the idle screw to adjust it at idle... correct? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can adjust the tps but the round screw heads will have to be notched so you can lossen and tigten them, if the tps has never been replaced.
On a side note if you are like me and HATE using a small screw driver to lossen and tigthen the tps screws, you can use the bolts from the ivac (the small ones that hold on the anitfreeze plate) and they fit perfectly, thus allowing you to use an 8mm scoket.

The signal wire is the center wire on the plug, roughly .45v closed and 4.5v at wot, the adjustment dosent have to be perfect but the closer the better.

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It looks as though it was replaced at some point. There are definitely holes of some sort on the TPS (they look like stripped to hell phillips heads). I'll try with the probes reversed when I get home this morning and see what readings I get. I may have to see if I can't get the screws to turn with a pair of pliers or something depending on how bad they are ... I haven't been able to get any phillips head screwdriver to catch on them ... may have to try a hex or square bit ... or something like that.

EDIT: Ok I've tried switching the probes ... and it did exactly what I thought it would do. Same values for open and closed ... just negative.

Could I be testing the wrong wires. IIRC it doesn't matter as long as it's the center (signal) wire and one of the other two that you are testing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts