Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
I have them as well, work great, I would go on yahoo and type in something like "hyper-ground wire installation" or something along that and there should be a few sites showing you the several spots to wires each of the grounds to...... If I remember correctly there are like7 spots...... l8er bro

·
0 Posts
ya know what you can do to get a hyper ground system ? get some 2 gauge or 0 gauge depending on what you have running ( stereo etc ) and use that ... and bang you have a hyper ground system.

for spots with smaller wire up grade to like 8 gauge and 4 gauge .. but the main id use something alittle larger then 4 ga. espically if you have a stereo ... otherwise 4 ga would be acceptable

·
Registered
39 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
near the top of both strut towers, intake manifold, head, and block or trans. i put one one car runs smoother and all my lights seem a little brighter. Ground kits don't do much but they are dyno proven to do a little. plus if you have a sound system using a ton of power an upgraded ground will help.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
fenderstrat6e said:
near the top of both strut towers, intake manifold, head, and block or trans. i put one one car runs smoother and all my lights seem a little brighter. Ground kits don't do much but they are dyno proven to do a little. plus if you have a sound system using a ton of power an upgraded ground will help.
I agree with ya bro

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just remember, your grounds carry just as much current as your mains.
It's not a bad idea if you have an older car to at least go through and clean all the power and ground terminals.

A bad or corroded ground will fk up your electrical system just as much as if you had bad power wires. And you can never have too much ground contact.

As for aftermarket grounding kits.
Waste of money.
For a tenth of the price you can get a bunch of large diameter fine thread copper wire and terminals and make all your grounds flow more than adequately.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Im doing this pretty soon too. My system really takes power away from my electrical system. I've been idling before and if watched my tach really close and could see it idle down just a tad when the bass would hit hard. Anyway, a few good places would be the throttle body, the tranny, the block, the head, intake mani, valve cover (maybe)...and like they said, don't go buy a ground kit. Make your own. So much cheaper. Anyway, on all those places, unbolt a nut and put the wire there and tighten the bolt back up and then find a bolt on the chasis somewhere and do the same for the other end of that same wire. If I can remember, I'll go home and take some pics for ya man.

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
i love honda said:
Im doing this pretty soon too. My system really takes power away from my electrical system. I've been idling before and if watched my tach really close and could see it idle down just a tad when the bass would hit hard. Anyway, a few good places would be the throttle body, the tranny, the block, the head, intake mani, valve cover (maybe)...and like they said, don't go buy a ground kit. Make your own. So much cheaper. Anyway, on all those places, unbolt a nut and put the wire there and tighten the bolt back up and then find a bolt on the chasis somewhere and do the same for the other end of that same wire. If I can remember, I'll go home and take some pics for ya man.
Get a Cap, and or a better alternator. You won't see much with grounds.

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
How about a cap and grounds lol. Im just looking for better an overall better electrical system. I know the gains won't be past 1whp but every bit counts for me.

·
Registered
545 Posts
To me, the grounds on our vehicles are sufficient as it is. Just make sure the connections and lines aren't corroded. I know the Greddy system utilizes a capacitor-setup which I've seen work.

How about hook up a cap to the positive and negative side of the battery or upgrade your alternator.

I'm about to remove all the 2 guage wires in my engine bay to clean it up and use it to run a sub in the back. You could save that money you spend towards something that puts out more hp/dollar.

I love honda, why don't you do your lil ground wire upgrade and dyno your car with and without it.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
krychek57 said:
Get a Cap, and or a better alternator. You won't see much with grounds.
i second this... i have a 135amp atlernator and with two caps i ran 1150watts rms w/2 subs... it would hit so hard that my bumper would vibrate cause they're fiberglass... so i took out one amp and a sub no vibrate; plus my car is soundproof...

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
I upgraded my grounds and definately noticed a difference. I didn't gain 30hp or anything, but did get slightly smoother throttle response and a better idle.

Now, with that said, don't waste money on those grounding kits. I just replaced my OEM grounds with some quality 8awg wire from radio shack. Total cost, about $14.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kommon_sense said:
I upgraded my grounds and definately noticed a difference. I didn't gain 30hp or anything, but did get slightly smoother throttle response and a better idle.

Now, with that said, don't waste money on those grounding kits. I just replaced my OEM grounds with some quality 8awg wire from radio shack. Total cost, about $14.

I can only locate 2 OEM earth leads - can you indicate on the pictures posted, where I should add the earth leads too.

thanks

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
Cuong-Nutz: I know that a "lil ground wire upgrade" isn't going to do much. You didn't have to be a smart ass about it dude. Im not a dumbass. I know you're not really going to see anything from some big ground wires. But it may help when my system is on. If I have my bass up really loud, my lights on my CD player dim and sometimes if the car is just idling and the bass hits like that, it will idle down just a tad.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wasn't being a smart ass about it bro. Don't take it to heart. I was just asking the next time you dyno, see what kind of gains you get with and without it :)

·
Registered
00' Honda Civic EX
1,540 Posts
my bad man...I wasn't in the best mood when I was on earlier lol. Didn't mean to take it out on anyone, but I did. But anyway, if I ever get off my lazy ass and do the grounds then I might do that lol. Damn, reading back over my post to you, I was mean as hell. Sorry dude : )

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
akhlaq768 said:
I can only locate 2 OEM earth leads - can you indicate on the pictures posted, where I should add the earth leads too.

thanks
There are 3 total.

- battery to chassis
- valve cover/power-steering-bracket to chassis
- tranny to chassis.

You probably can't see the tranny to chassis ground if you have a stock airbox.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts