Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I've been researching different clutches and flywheels to prep for my turbo install and found these guys on Ebay. They're called Gripforce Clutches and they had a GRC RACING Clutch & CHROMOLY JDM Flywheel 92-04 CIVIC for sale for $379.00 plus a reasonable shipping cost. It says JDM so it must be top notch right? :jdm:

eBay Motors: GRC RACING Clutch & CHROMOLY JDM

So I hemmed and hawwed, did some more digging and found that the Exedy Racing Stage 1 clutch PN is 08801A. Then I looked at the pictures, comparing the Exedy and the GRC clutch. Pics are from different vendors.

GRC

Exedy

Hmmmm.... Then I looked at the GRC part number which is GRC08801A, same as the Exedy, just with GRC in front of it. So I emailed them a couple questions as follows:

Me - Hello, I've been doing a fair amount of homework on my clutch upgrade and am seriously considering this combo. I notice your GRC part number is close to the Exedy Racing clutch part number of 08801A. How does this clutch compare to the Exedy in terms of clamping pressure, driveability and pedal feel (over stock)?

GRC - You've done your homework! ;-)

It IS the Exedy Racing kit. It's just that Exedy doesn't allow us to advertise below a certain price and that's how we came up with an idea of GRC name. ;-)

You are basically getting this Exedy racing kit at a very low price. ;-)

Thanks

EOM

Well I'm sold. I just bought the setup and will let everyone know if I'm happy or not with it, and maybe post a little DIY on it as well. I know most folks know how to do clutches, but I'll be teaching a buddy and may as well share the knowledge. Clutch should be here in about a week and half (stationed in England) so it will be a bit before it arrives. May the Ebay gods smile on me <crossed fingers>.

·
Registered
949 Posts
great thread. :) that probably sounds sarcastic but it's not :)

Reactions: Chiovnidca

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
hope it works out and isnt the same thing as those tien springs. Im sure it will be okay..........good luck with it.
i know right. my friend got an ACT clutch with only 1000miles on ebay for 80$. it turns out that it was painted yellow stock clutch.

·
Registered
96dx saloon
990 Posts
i have got a daiken that is supposed to be a stage1. it feels good. i heard that daiken made excedy also. good find on the grc

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm pretty curious to see what it actually is when it arrives. For $425 shipped, I hope I'm not taking it from behind....

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
i just orderd a proclucth clutch kit for $161 shipped, there are alot of good deals on egay but you should always comunicate with the seller first...

·
Registered
90 SI Hatch, 93 EJ1
175 Posts
That clutch looks much better that the other ones that they sell. If you see the 6 puck Gripforce clutch with the blue pressure plate on ebay dont get it. it comes in the kit like the one in this post or just the clutch kit. I mainly use ACT clutches but the one on my z6 went out so i thought i would try a cheaper clutch from ebay. i would rather put a stock clutch in than that thing . I didnt have very many mods on the car just header exhaust 96 ITR injectors cai fuel pressure regulator AEM cam gear Comp cam. I broke the clutch in exactly like the instructions said. after breaking in i got on it and the thing slips really bad the car goes no where. i have since got another act clutch.

·
Registered
2018 TRD
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you see the 6 puck Gripforce clutch with the blue pressure plate on ebay dont get it. it comes in the kit like the one in this post or just the clutch kit.

Yeah, there seemed to be too many F1/Brand X $100-150 6-puck jobbies out there that can't be worth the metal they're made from. I'm sure some folks have had goo dluck, but its too risky in my book. I looked at Dezod, TrueHonda, got the info from RS Machines, and a few others and figured if I was paying less than about $400, my chances of getting some POS were greatly increased. Obviously I could still have gotten taken on this one - hasn't arrived yet, was shipped Wed - but hopefully it will be decent.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That clutch looks much better that the other ones that they sell. If you see the 6 puck Gripforce clutch with the blue pressure plate on ebay dont get it. it comes in the kit like the one in this post or just the clutch kit. I mainly use ACT clutches but the one on my z6 went out so i thought i would try a cheaper clutch from ebay. i would rather put a stock clutch in than that thing . I didnt have very many mods on the car just header exhaust 96 ITR injectors cai fuel pressure regulator AEM cam gear Comp cam. I broke the clutch in exactly like the instructions said. after breaking in i got on it and the thing slips really bad the car goes no where. i have since got another act clutch.
So in other words you are saying don't order the 6 puck stage 3 kit and flywheel cuz they are junk.. if so you just saved me some money!

·
Registered
see above
4,259 Posts
i run the gripforce/f1 6puck sprung hub on my d15b turbo in a crx. it grabs hard. and i notice no slippage. even with back to back runs and high rpm drops. .. good price 350 for clutch/fidanza package. with bearing and alignment tool. i back this company.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I am thinking that he might have put a clutch in with a flywheel that wasn't re machined!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive been looking at clutch kits on ebay for weeks already i cant seem to find a good deal yet.. im planing on turbo charging my SOHC .. D15B JDM what you guys think should i spend 4 hundred and change for a High Brand CLutch kit ? i mean money is a issue at this point.. what would be good for less then 2hundred dollas?

·
Registered
413 Posts
since we are talking about ebay clutch and flywheel kits.... im looking for a 10 to 12 pound flywheel with probably a stage 1 clutch because i have the basic bolt ons and not plaining on adding more mods.
what brand should i look out for?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts