Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i shift from 2nd to 3rd over 5k rpms it grinds into gear. Anyone have any experience with this or any idea how to fix it? It's a 96 civic EX by the way

·
Registered
826 Posts
is it an automatic?

i have an auto tranny and it sounds like the gears grind a lil bit ever since i added my header

·
Registered
915 Posts
is it an automatic?

i have an auto tranny and it sounds like the gears grind a lil bit ever since i added my header
:shocked: automatics dont have "gears" pump pressure and speed is about it...so im sure its a 5 speed....

anyways couple be a bad syncro, check the fluid in it by removing the 17mm plug on the passenger side of the tranny behine the axle, make sure the car is level, if fluid runs out then its full, but may need changed...i have the same problem with my Si tranny...but i dont care i jus slam it in 3rd because the tranny is about fucked anys and has been like that for a long time..but check the oil in the tranny or drain it and change it

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I have the same exact problem... I thought using Pennzoil Syncromesh would fix it. Well, not all the way; but it still needed the fluid change anyways. Try the fluid change first; but it's probably just going bad.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic Coupe
588 Posts
i have the same problem i believe, but into 5th gear only. it always grates when going to fifth except if you double-clutch first.

the weird thing is, i autocrossed the car once and really pushed it hard.... and after that for a week or 2 the 5th gear worked perfectly! then it just started back grating just like before........... any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard from one person that it could be a buildup of some sort of crap on the syncros, but if thats the case i have no idea how to fix it. When i first got the car it used to do it at 4k RPMs but after driving to 4k regularly it started happening higher up the RPM range and now it only does it above 5k. It aggrivates me because it makes me not want to run my 2nd gear hard which i have to when im racing :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts