Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Honda Civic DX Coupe with CAI/H/Catback and Y8 IM. Timing belt/water pump was changed by a shop about 10,000 KM ago.The Car has 340k and plan on driving it until the engine blows because finances are tight right now. I've noticed since the cold weather has started that there is a really annoying grinding or screaching sound on cold start-ups. The sound comes about 3-4 seconds after the car starts and lasts anywhere from 4-6 seconds. Then goes away with no further issues. I have recently changed the ALT/PS belts and adjusted to proper tension. Could the timing belt be too tight? I've noticed since it was changed that the drivetrain has had a wine to it, especially when starting cold. Any help would be much appreciated before I take it to a shop and pay top dollar for a diagnosis lol!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dude ... i have the same exact issue with my y7, including the drivetrain thing ... def keeping an eye on this thread

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it more of a knocking noise? If it only does this at cold start its probably your bearings. What happens when you leave your car over night is the oil drains back out of the filter and everything collects into the pan. When you first start your car in the morning, especially since your bearings will be more worn b/c of the higher miles, there is more clearance in the bearings with no oil to fill it so it will knock till the oil has enough time to fill the voids. If this is your problem the only thing you might be able to do is to switch to a thinner oil depending on how cold/warm it gets in your region when you let your car sit over night. Even so it still might not help much. Theres nothing you can do to really fix this other than a rebuild. Unless its something else causing the noise.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a knocking sound for sure. I understand what your saying and it makes sense. I live in Ontario so It gets fairly cold. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
get a vid up with you starting the car. if could have something to do with your belt tensioner or possibly p/s pump starting to go out. as far as drivetrain whine, i would check your axles and re grease everything as necessary.

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
oh and check all fluids too, my transmission made a weird noise and then i checked my clutch fluid and it was low.

·
Registered
117 Posts
its more like a grrrrrrrr noise .... almost like the a sprocket is rubbing against something, something plastic and loose

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
too thin of an oil would leave little to no film during overnight stop. use correct oil viscosity for your climate. if its below 30* use 5w30 or 5w20. also at operating temps the thinner oil will leave little film for lube and protection, so it is imperative to use the correct viscosity oil for your application.

one thing to add, maybe before you start the car next. remove the FI/EM fuse under the hood(7.5A top left when looking from the bumper side) and crank the motor over in 10 second intervals until the oil light begins to go off. then replace fuse and start car to see if noise goes away.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
The alternator has worn bearings and extra drain on battery to start cold causes alternator to work hrder to recharge battery. This with change of tension is causing poleing out of rotor and or belt slip.

Belt slip is more of a screetch. Polling of rotor is real metalic grind.

One cold morning have someone else start it while you have the bonnet up with your ear close to PS pump. You should be able to determine if it is PS, AC, alternator or WP making the noise.

Adjust the belt a bit loose then a bit tight to see what that does to noise.

A recoed or low mileage S/H alternator or P/S pump should not cost much. Replacing W/P is more of a problem as you need to slack off the timing belt to do it then retime and retension correctly otherwise you might break a belt or jump a tooth.
If it is W/P bearing, that overloads the timing belt, so it should be replaced ith new W/P anyway to be safe.

10:1 it's alternator bearings.

·
Registered
117 Posts
the thing is that for me, anyway, this is really inconsistent. I may get it some mornings, but not others. I may even not get it on a day when it was colder when I did get it. It is definitely cold related. I think there is def a good chance they are alternator bearings

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Belts change tension with temperature.

Polymers like belt matrix material and many reinforcments expand about 10 times as much as metal for the same temperature change, or in the case of cooling down, contract about 10 times as much.

This means belts are tighter in cold weather.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If what you are hearing sounds kinda like a sick duck getting stepped on under the hood, then it is a normal sound for cold weather startup.

My civic does it, my wifes '09 caliber has done it since we drove it off the lot with 59km on it, and so does every customers car I drive in in the mornings.

Takes it being about -15 or so, and I'd say it is normal. I have aalways thought it was the water pumps, but it could be just everything startin gup very very cold

·
Registered
113 Posts
If what you are hearing sounds kinda like a sick duck getting stepped on under the hood, then it is a normal sound for cold weather startup.

My civic does it, my wifes '09 caliber has done it since we drove it off the lot with 59km on it, and so does every customers car I drive in in the mornings.

Takes it being about -15 or so, and I'd say it is normal. I have aalways thought it was the water pumps, but it could be just everything startin gup very very cold
This is incorrect. No car SHOULD make a belt screech at any time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is incorrect. No car SHOULD make a belt screech at any time.
I did not describe a belt screech now did I.

When the temp drop to -15 or below, things do weird shit, its a fact of life. Sometimes I don;t get it until it hits -20.

What I will tell you, is when it hits -30, EVERY car I bring into the shop, all day long, irregardless of make or age, they make the noise he is describing.

therefore, normal

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trust me, It's not a normal cold-start sound. I feel embarassed starting my car cold because it screaches so loud and sounds like a piece of shit. I love my car almost more than my gf and just want it to start normal again lol. I'm taking all of your suggestions and giving them a try. I really think Pat is onto something with the Alt. My Alt.s only 3 years old but it's a champion Alt. from Canadian Tire lol. Not sure if they are known to have bearings wear out prematurely. I use 5W30 synthetic so I know that's not the issue. Thanks for the input and will follow up soon!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts