Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the FAQ's and searched this forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

I did a 88 d16a6 with matching tranny swap in my 89 dx hatch. I used GM synchromesh when I filled up the trans. I ran it for a week then topped off the trans.

My problem is when the engine and trans are cold it it grinds going in 1st and reverse. It shifts fine in all other gears. When you come to a stop and shift to 1st it doesn't grind. Its when you have it in Neutral and try to put it in 1st or reverse. When the car is warmed up good it doesn't grind going into 1st or reverse. It'll feel notchy though. The person I bought the swap from said they installed a autozone clutch not to long before I purchased it. This may possibly be the problem but clutch doesn't slip and feels decent other then the problem I stated. Does anyone have any insight or experience in the problem I have? TIA.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Older Accords with the H22 engine can get this. It's usually a sign that the synchro ring is going, especially if it's 5th and reverse.

Alternatively, the clutch is the thing that's been changed recently, so your problem may stem from that.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
cold fluid, been an issue for 30+ years.

You have to wait a little for the huge mass to stop spinning or else it grinds.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Older Accords with the H22 engine can get this. It's usually a sign that the synchro ring is going, especially if it's 5th and reverse.

Alternatively, the clutch is the thing that's been changed recently, so your problem may stem from that.
I figured I'd wait to change the clutch til I went turbo and check out the synchros unless it got worse.

cold fluid, been an issue for 30+ years.

You have to wait a little for the huge mass to stop spinning or else it grinds.
I've read that also. I don't remember having the same problem with my other CRX and before I did the swap. I still have the trans from my d15b2. I could always switch them out if I ever get bored.....which is never.

Thank you both for your replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts