Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello DSO. I'm new to using forums so please forgive me if I do this incorrectly.

I have a 1990 dx wagon. 5 speed, d15b2.

I'm here to find information on reliability and longevity upgrades.

My car has 256,000 miles so I'm planning a rebuild when she gets to 300,000.

My goal is to build her up to hit million miles, or as close as I can get in one shot.

I don't care about speed, or horsepower. I want fuel economy and reliability. I may be the only person to say this, but the stock performance is just fine for me.

If anyone has any advice I'd welcome it gladly. I'll try to contribute what I've learned with anyone who might benefit from it.

Thank you.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,432 Posts
Covert to MPFI from an Si, long CAI, cheap header and 2-2.25" exhaust will be a starting point. Next would be a D16A6 cam with Y8 timing gear.

Ignition timing with any of the above combo's should be 20-22 BTDC, you might need to slot the openings to get this much timing. You will gain 20-25 whp doing this, but it will help at cruising speed.

Keep a steady throttle on the highway, Look into making an air dam for the front out of cheap lawn edging.

D15Beast7, search for it on here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I certainly wish you luck with it.

The biggest obstacle in the way might be you. I'm not sure how old you are or how much you drive, but 750k miles isn't a small number. The average American drives about 14k miles a year, and you'd need to maintain that for about 55 years.

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
400 Posts
Just drive the car.

Seriously, if you're attentive to the signals your car gives you, such as a new noise or a tiny bubble in the paintwork, and keep it well serviced, there's no reason why it shouldn't last forever.

Everything on a car can be fixed or replaced. You just need patience, care, time and/or money. The cars I've sent to the great scrapyard in the sky went there only because I was too stupid, lazy or bored. Sometimes all three.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your best chance of hitting 1 million miles - increase your following distances, check every intersection even at green lights, expect everyone with an indicator on hasn't seen you, brake early and follow the routine servicing in your manual.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts