Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...it's been a long time since I've dropped in to d-series... Everything was going well with the Greddy kit, until the turbo started leaking oil... Right now, it's only on the exhaust side, and there's a bit of shaft play. From what I figure, I'm losing about 1/2 quart roughly every 100-150 miles. On startup, it makes sort of a "jingling" sound...but it goes away once the engine warms up, or if it's run above about 1500rpm.

BTW, it's the 19T turbo...

So, I have a few questions...

1. What would cause this? My best guess is that the turbo doesn't cool down properly before I shut it off... My other guess would be that it wasn't broken in properly when it was installed... Any ideas? I don't want to make the same mistakes again...

2. Where do I find a rebuild kit?

3. Do I have to pull the turbo out of the car, or can I rebuild it with it still in?

Well, I'm sure I sound like a real noob, but I want to make sure I do things right...

·
Registered
122 Posts
to answer your question, i don't know where to find the rebuild kit, your best bet would probably be to contact greddy and see what they have to say. do you have a turbo timer? that might be the cause of the problem

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
sohc_vtec 2NR said:
to answer your question, i don't know where to find the rebuild kit, your best bet would probably be to contact greddy and see what they have to say. do you have a turbo timer? that might be the cause of the problem
did u mean having a turbo timer or NOT having one caused the problem?

·
No more Honda's :-(
3,223 Posts
i'd either call majectic turbo and have them rebuild that one or just buy the s&s auto one that they have. it's $250 plus shipping. majestic wanted over $300 to rebuild my 15g. i ended up getting a 18g with 1800 mi. on it for less than that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...it seems that I may have been mistaken...but I need some input (sorry for such a long post)

Yesterday, I drove back and forth to Detroit, in the span of about 5 hours, and going roughly 150 miles or so. I checked the oil before I left, and it was right at the top hole on the dipstick. When I returned, the level was at the bottom hole on the dipstick. So, I figured that I must have consumed some oil, or as I figured before, it was leaking from the turbo.

This morning, I needed to go pick up a package from UPS. I checked the oil before I left (assuming that the turbo was indeed leaking), and the oil level had risen once again to the top hole on the dipstick. This was roughly 18 hours since I had returned from Detroit the day before.

So...I get in the car and start her up. No noises as there had been the day before. (Previously, the noises had been present every day when the car was cold ~30 or so ambient temp, until it warmed up)

On my drive, I let her warm up, and pushed her a little bit, and all seemed fine. When I returned, I checked the oil again. Back at the bottom hole.

So, this sort of has me confused. Where is all the oil going?? My only guesses are either it's not draining properly from the head, or it's not draining properly from the turbo. From the turbo, I'm using a formed hose, so it shouldn't be kinking...

Let me know if you guys can think of anything. As it is, I'm sorta lost...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check the oil pressure with a guage, see where its reading. The oil level in the pan will drop from the top hole, to about the middle of the 2 dots, sometimes more, sometimes less, and that is to be expected because oil is flowing in the head, is it smoking? If you were burning oil in the exhaust, your turbine is gonna be coated in sooty blackness, and it is hot enough to burn and smell. An EGT guage is a great thing to have to make sure the turbo doesnt cool down to fast, doing so closes the clearances on certain parts, making wear more apparent, slow and gradual cooling will extend life and performance quite a bit. Preheating the turbo is just as important. One of the reasons I don't care for oil cooled turbo's, temp gets really really high (like any turbo lol), water cooling helps maintain a steady temperature, and is much cooler than the oil flowing through it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I may just be a little paranoid because of the noise when it's cold...and I just jumped too quickly to the wrong conclusion. There's no smoke, no wierd smells...I need to get the DP off to make sure of the exhaust side...

An EGT gauge is in the works, as is a good timer. Over the summer (when it's finally warm here in MI) I'm going to look at going to a water cooled turbo...

Thanks again guys for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts